Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    ktf118's Avatar
    ktf118 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Feb 5, 2008, 03:57 PM
    Home in Purchase Contract put up for Sheriff Sale
    I am in Pennsylvania. I did not have the foresight to have a lawyer review my contract before I signed it. The closing date I have signed up for is 2/18/08 and they have listed the house for Sheriff Sale on 2/22/08. The house was put up for Sheriff Sale by the Mortgage Company after the drafting and offer of the purchase contract, but before the Execution Date (the date they accepted the offer). They accepted the offer while the house was up for Sheriff Sale.

    I will not be able to close by 2/18/08 because the bank requires my W2s which I received on 2/5/08. This means I will default on the contract (seller is not willing to extend the closing date).

    Is there any way I can back out of the contract now because they left it listed for Sheriff Sale even after I put money down? If I cannot I will lose my deposit and perhaps be taken to court for extra costs of having the house off the market? Unfortunately I put faith in the Agent who I thought was objective (another mistake on my part).

    I already had the home inspection and am past the 15 days I had to raise a claim. I was told that because they were a bank they would not work with me at all so even though we found issues with the home (knob and tube, sagging beam on the front porch).

    They have been jerking me around for close to 6 months. I was OK with it because I wanted the house, but this Sheriff Sale thing has just pushed me over the edge.

    Is there any legal way to get out and get my deposit back? How about is there any legal way to get out, only lose my deposit, and not be taken to court for additional costs?

    I know I messed up, but I was hoping someone could offer their opinion. Thanks in advance.
    ScottGem's Avatar
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

    Feb 5, 2008, 04:15 PM
    You need to get an atty to read the contract and see what options you have. You need to do this tmmw. Its possible the atty can file a stay of the Sheriff's sale.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Selling contract to purchase [ 5 Answers ]

I have an opportunity to buy a condo below market value. Rather than "eat up" potential profits in mortgage closing costs, I'm wondering if I can sell the contract to purchase or sell to someone in a way that will not require paying closing costs to buy and then closing costs to resell it. Any...

Capital gain tax - home sale and purchase [ 1 Answers ]

I am a permanent resident in USA for last 5 years. I sold my home in India in May end this year, and purchasing a home in USA by October end for much larger amount. Do I get any relief in INDIA from capital gain tax?

Rental/Purchase contract! [ 6 Answers ]

I live in Ohio, and am in a rental/purchase contract for a home. The contract specifies that I get a loan for purchase after 12 months. At 8%or less. I cannot get a loan under 11% due to my credit issues, which I outlined to the landlord at the time I first met him. I put down a very large down...

Can I get out of my contract for new home purchase? [ 2 Answers ]

We signed a contract with a builder for a new home with no contigencies. Then, 2 weeks later, our house we were selling didn't close. Now we're stuck with a contract to purchase, which the close date has past, no money to put down, and if we do even find a way to close, TWO mortgages. How can we...

View more questions Search