Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    jlmoretti's Avatar
    jlmoretti Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Jul 20, 2006, 05:12 PM
    Fire damage at rental property
    I recently had a fire in my apartment. I was told by the owner of the property that their insurance company is going to sue me for repayment of the damages. What are my rights as a tenant? Can they really sue me?
    J_9's Avatar
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646

    Jul 20, 2006, 05:16 PM
    All depends on the cause of the fire. Did you have renter's insurance?

    If the cause of the fire has been deemed to be your fault, the insurace company will reimburse the owner and then go after you to reapy them in what is called a subrogation claim.

    The important part here is the cause of the fire. Make sure that there is an investigation if it is not your fault. If it is faulty electricity (within the walls and whatnot) or something similar the chance is slim that they will come back to you.

    But a pot of beans left on the stove and you left your house, or obvious accelerant, yes they most certainly can file a subrogation claim.
    RickJ's Avatar
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

    Jul 21, 2006, 03:26 AM
    It is not uncommon for an insurance company to sue the other party if there is good evidence that the other party was at fault.

    Remember, anyone can sue anyone else for just about anything. It has nothing to do with tenants rights.

    My guess is that if negligence or criminal activity can be proven, then you'd potentially be on the losing end of the suit if they do file...

    All you can do is wait and see. If you do get notice of a suit, though, don't try to defend yourself alone. Get an attorney immediately.
    excon's Avatar
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

    Jul 21, 2006, 09:33 AM
    Hello jl:

    You betcha they can sue you, and if you were negligent, you'll lose.


Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cheap Rental Property [ 6 Answers ]

Where is the best real estate market in the United States (IN,AZ,CA,NY,TX, NV, IA,MO etc.) interms of purchasing cheap rental (Duplex) property and renting the units, but at a purchase of under $50,000.00. Interesting in buying cheap property, but looking for rentals that already have tenats...

Little help please - criminal damage to property [ 8 Answers ]

If criminal damage to property occurs to a vehicle driven by a man whose wife holds title and registration to the vehicle and someone is indicted for damaging the property of the man, even though he has no title or legal claim to the vehicle is named solely in the indictment as the property owner,...

2nd mortgage on Rental Property Possible? [ 9 Answers ]

I have two rental properties- one is a single family home I have owned for 7 years, the other a building with 4 apartments. I live in the apartment building, had to agree to that for the loan to work, so I ended up renting my previous house (the one I have owned for 7 years). So basically, both...

? About insurance coverage to someone's property I damage [ 1 Answers ]

I damaged some property at an office building. It was my fault. Does my homeowner's liability insurance cover that? If not, is there insurance that does cover it?

View more questions Search