Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    shelley7180's Avatar
    shelley7180 Posts: 63, Reputation: 4
    Junior Member

    Feb 23, 2007, 07:04 AM
    FHA short sale
    I sold my house over 4 years ago via a short sale because I had been laid off and could no longer afford to pay my monthly mortgage. I received a letter in the mail yesterday, Feb 22, 2007, from HUD saying that I owed them $4900. I can only assume that this is from the property that was sold 01/03, but I do not know because there are no details in the letter as to why I supposedly owe this money. I have NEVER received anything from HUD, my former mortgage company, or FHA about this. I thought that when my lender agreed on a settlement price, and the property was closed on, I was out free and clear. (Other than any possible tax ramifications that I may have had to deal with, which I didn't.) My actual question is has anyone else ever experienced this before, and can they really make me pay for something that I never had any dealings with? (HUD, to my knowledge, was never involved with the sale of my house. My real estate handled everything with my lender.) Should I seek out a local Real Estate attorney?
    ScottGem's Avatar
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

    Feb 23, 2007, 07:08 AM
    Why not start with responding to the letter asking for details. Then see where it leads.
    excon's Avatar
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

    Feb 23, 2007, 07:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by shelley7180
    Should I seek out a local Real Estate attorney?
    Hello shelley:

    Well, the first thing I would do is write back for a detailed explanation. You can't fight something if don't know what it is that you're fighting.


    PS> Of course, a RE attorney could do it too, but at a price.

    PPS> (edited) Oh, I see you're not going to like my answer. K, it's not going to change. Gimme the red blotch!
    Fr_Chuck's Avatar
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,302, Reputation: 7692

    Feb 23, 2007, 07:15 AM
    Ok, was your loan HUD guarnteed, if it was, then HUD made good the short to the lending institution. And would then take over the debt.

    You can write them and ask them for proof of debt, information on the sale of the home and an accounting for the debt.

    You may be able to call them, but writing is better.
    ScottGem's Avatar
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

    Feb 23, 2007, 07:30 AM
    Comments on this postshelley7180 disagrees: Like I didn't think of that already.

    First, may I point out the guidelines for using the comments feature found here:

    I have no idea what you thought of or what you did, other than what you posted. Therefore, to say my answer was not helpful is unfair. Such unfair ratings is not going to inspire us to help. If you already thought of it, did you do it?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

What is a trustee sale? [ 5 Answers ]

Can someone please clarify to me what a trustee sale is and how that will effect my lease as a tenant?

FHA loan / CH 7 BK / Wait 2 years? [ 2 Answers ]

Hello all! My family and I want to get into our first house when our current lease is up (Feb-07). We went through a CH 7 bankruptcy and it was discharged 4/8/05. Everything I've seen says you have to wait 2-years before you would qualify for an FHA loan. Are there ever any exceptions to that...

Sale of property for $1 [ 4 Answers ]

Is it possible to sell property to an older sister for $1 to prevent a ex-wife from putting a lien on it. It is in PA

Best wash sale SW available? [ 2 Answers ]

Anyone used a wash sale SW? If so, please let me know what you think about it. I need a wash sale SW that can caculate various scenarios. I bought and sold a same stock many times this year. One resulted in a loss which fell into a wash sale situation. I want to claim the full loss for...

View more questions Search