Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    gloria madison's Avatar
    gloria madison Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Aug 9, 2008, 12:55 PM
    Evicting a roommate in CT
    I own my home and have had my boyfriend living with me for 5 years. He has not contributed financially to the household in over 3 years. We are estranged and I would like him out. He is non responsive on the subject.
    Please advise as to the simplest way to have him evicted. Thank you.
    gloria madison
    progunr's Avatar
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

    Aug 9, 2008, 01:07 PM
    You will have to formally and legally file for eviction.

    The process varies a great deal from one area to another.

    Contact your clerk of court, civil division, and they can explain the process for your jurisdiction.
    rockinmommy's Avatar
    rockinmommy Posts: 1,123, Reputation: 82
    Ultra Member

    Aug 9, 2008, 06:30 PM
    You could go two routes. One would be an eviction for non-payment of rent. One possible hitch you could run into is that if it went to court he could say, "she hasn't made me pay rent for 3 years - why should I start now?" It may or may not work for him.

    The other option, which seems a bit longer up front - but really he'd have no argument against is to end his periodic tenancy. That means he's like a month to month tenant. You would give him a notice (usually around 30 day - see your state's landlord / tenant laws for the exact length the notice must be) stating that you're ending his periodic tenancy as of September 9, 2008 (for example). He should please completely vacate the premesis on or before that date. Then, if he does not go you would go through the eviction procedure.

    You need to brush up on your state's LL / tenant property code. At this point he's your tenant and you're his landlord.
    Gwenofcrowhave's Avatar
    Gwenofcrowhave Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Jun 27, 2013, 10:35 AM
    I have lived with partner F in a domestic partnership for almost 13 yrs.
    During that time, he has abused trust, used drugs, etc.
    However, he as progressed to stealing, threatening, being verbally abusive. And cannot be trusted with any monies in the household.

    He refuses counseling or treatment.
    His behavior is escalating, and there are witnesses to his instability.

    I am concerned for the long term well being of my daughter, myself, and pets.

    He has been asked to leave MANY times.
    He was arrested (not convicted) for disorderly conduct some months ago, at our prior address, though the charges were dropped. However, there is a record on file of his issues with the local police department.
    He is extremely volatile in mood, and should be under the care of a therapist, which he refuses to do.
    In the meantime, I am deciding that enough is enough...
    What is the next step?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Evicting Roommate [ 12 Answers ]

My roommate and I do not get along. He has lived there for a bit less than a month. I asked him to leave since he is not part of the lease. He claims that after two weeks he is a resident of the apartment and he has the right to stay there. Is this true? I am a Salt Lake City resident. Thank...

Evicting a roommate [ 7 Answers ]

How can I evict my boyfriend from my house? He is not on the title to the house or the mortgage. He will not leave on his own, so I need to know what I have to do to get him out. I live in Ohio.

Evicting a roommate [ 4 Answers ]

I rented a room and the roommate has been here a little over a month and I want to give her notice to vacate. Do I give her 30 or 60 days? It was rented on a month to month basis. She says that I have to pay her moving in costs and her moving out costs if I want her to leave. I do not have a...

Evicting roommate [ 3 Answers ]

I have a friend who has been living with her boyfriend for 10 years. He does not pay any bills or rent. His name is not on the lease. My friend lives in Georgia. My friend wants her boyfriend to leave her house. The only problem is that they have children together that live in the house with...

View more questions Search