Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sreekuax Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 15, 2010, 08:09 AM
    Print output squashed up
    I am supporting eB2 application. Recently in one of our office, they changed a color printer to a black and white one.. i.e from Xerox Apeosport c3300 to Xerox FX APeosPort-Iv C3370 resp.

Now the problem is , the control codes used for the new printer is the same which was working for the old one. But the print from the new printer is showing all squashed up letters.

Please see the attached files. One jpeg file is the control codes used for this printer and the other is the squashed up output from this printer with the said control codes.

The present control codes used :

80 Column Start: /027E/027&I2A/027&I66P/027&I0O/027(8U/027(s0p14.h9
    v0s0b3T/027&6E/027&17.8689C/027&I66F/027&k2G
    132 Column Start: /027E/027&I2A/027&I66P/027&I0O/027(0O/027&I66F/027
    (s0p16.66h8.5v0s0b0T/027&12E/027&17.8689C/027&k2G
    Reset Ctrl: /027E

Waiting for all your valuable comments.
    Attached Images

Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdf img-914084931-0001[1].pdf (32.4 KB, 178 views)
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Sep 15, 2010, 01:03 PM

Greetings,

Well I looked at your sample page and it looks as if your vertical spacing is incorrect.

Two possible solutions, one is to increase the vertical spacing for the printer. The other is to decrease the height of the font being used.

Unfortunately, I have to umpire some softball games this evening so I'll be prevented from going through the command sets.

If no one else can do this for you this evening, I'll try to get it done tomorrow.

Oh, one other thing. There is a setting in PCL that allows you to vary the vertical motion index. For example, if printer1 has a VMI (Vertical Motion Index) of 6/8 and printer 2 has a setting of say 34/48, the vertical spacing will be different and it will cause the failure you are seeing.

Any chance you can generate a print to file of the faiing document, that way I could look at the file with a tool I have.

Don

Sep 16, 2010, 05:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by donf View Post
    Greetings,

Well I looked at your sample page and it looks as if your vertical spacing is incorrect.

Two possible solutions, one is to increase the vertical spacing for the printer. The other is to decrease the height of the font being used.

Unfortunately, I have to umpire some softball games this evening so I'll be prevented from going through the command sets.

If no one else can do this for you this evening, I'll try to get it done tomorrow.

Oh, one other thing. There is a setting in PCL that allows you to vary the vertical motion index. For example, if printer1 has a VMI (Vertical Motion Index) of 6/8 and printer 2 has a setting of say 34/48, the vertical spacing will be different and it will cause the failure you are seeing.

Any chance you can generate a print to file of the faiing document, that way I could look at the file with a tool I have.

Don
    Hello Donf..

I have already attached a pdf file which shows squashed up output..
    I am attaching the txt file which is an output SO print to a local file from eB2 system.. and this is what we do print to a printer..
    If you need more info, then please let me know...
    I would like to love to get a resolution soon.. and I know your brilliance in
    Resolving such kind of issues.. :p :-)
    Attached Files
  3. File Type: txt outfile.txt (4.4 KB, 197 views)

Sep 16, 2010, 06:10 AM

A print file is useless because all the printer control calls are stripped out of the file and you are left with a flat ASCII file.

I'll take a shot at your codes from the sample you have.

Sep 18, 2010, 08:52 PM

Hello,

The problem is not with the printer, it is in the PCL being sent to the printer. Okay, whoever told you that this is valid PCL commands did not tell you the truth. I spent 2 hours this evening taking apart the PCL strings and found a bunch of junk. Some of the commands were:
    "<esc>&I (as in "Ida") instead of
    <esc>&l (as in "Larry").

Also, the command to set the Vertical Motion Index is incorrect. They set it at 17.8689. However the command does not take a decimal point. It is an Integer only command.

If the font call is to be believed, then the vertical height in the command is wrong.

In short, this is trash PCL. One more thng, I did not see the "SO" command. Does the datafile that is being sent to the printer contain control/escape commands in it?

I did not take the time to start column 132 but a quick look assured me that it also was poorly written.

Sep 21, 2010, 08:24 AM

Well I have a working PCL "80 Column Start" string.

However, there is nothing in the string to actually start the column at position 80.

I'm not going to to correct the 132 Column until I hear back for you.

Sep 21, 2010, 08:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by donf View Post
    Well I have a working PCL "80 Column Start" string.

However, there is nothing in the string to actually start the column at position 80.

I'm not going to to correct the 132 Column until I hear back for you.
    Hello Don,

Thank you very much for helping in this issue..
    I do have few updates for you.
    I found few control codes for Xerox and applied the same and found its working.. (attached pdf) but the problem is that its giving an extra blank sheet as a print along with the original print.. can you help me with that now ?

Xerox codes which is working now :

80 Column Start: /027&k0S

132 Column Start: /027&k2S/013

Reset Ctrl: /027&k0S

As I told only problem existing is a blank page is also gettng out from printer..!
    Attached Images
  5. File Type: pdf img-921171004-0001.pdf (22.2 KB, 167 views)

Sep 21, 2010, 09:01 AM

Are you sure you are using Xerox XES codes, because what you are showing me does not look at all like the XES data stream. They sure look and behave like HP PCL5 codes.

Where can I get a look at the Xerox code set?

Please, let's move this off this forum. Contact me at [email protected]

Sep 21, 2010, 11:39 AM

There is no way you and I are getting the same print out. Did you magnify the printout?

Also, the Sample Sales Order is not a properly formated page. For one thing, the data in the left column is starting above the Sales Order heading and the "Simulation" is below the heading.

What is really going on here?

Sep 21, 2010, 04:05 PM

Sreekuak,

I'm appending a binary file named "Australia.txt" for you to run a test with. You may have to convert the file to a ".bmp" file to download it as a binary file to the printer.

Do a "Put" command to the printer and then attach the output back to this thread. I want to make sure we are getting the same output, please.
    Attached Files
  7. File Type: txt Australia.txt (76 Bytes, 124 views)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I select print from Yahoo email, the lexmark printer Z517 will only print in color [ 1 Answers ]

Just connected a lexmark printer Z517, put a new color and black ink cart in and installed the driver, it won't print in black, color. Part of the black text will not print. Could the black ink cart be bad as I bought it from walmart.

To get higher wattage output in a lower output fixture. [ 1 Answers ]

We purchased a Harbor Breeze fan with light fixture, but did not see that the wattage output was only going to be 40 watts. We need more lighting in our room. We have tried bigger watt bulbs but the fixture starts to blink and then goes dim(back to the 40 watt output). How can we change that?

I can print spreadsheets, but I can't print images or text. [ 2 Answers ]

Anytime I try to print a spreadsheet it works. But when I try to print anything else it comes out blurry. What could be causing this?

Removing a judgement already squashed. [ 8 Answers ]

In Jan. 2005, we received a warrant in debt (judgement). We did not appear at the hearing because of severe inclimate weather. This resulted in a lien being placed on our property. In March , 2005, we went back to court (same debt) because the creditor had frozen one of our checking accounts....

View more questions Search