Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lil-mama08 Posts: 51, Reputation: 1

Feb 27, 2009, 08:46 PM
    False labour contractions
    I think I'm having false labour contractions.. they are down in my lower belly. They come and go when they want. I was under so much stress today that I think it triggered something.. what do you think? And how long till the real ones come. Some one give advice about what is happeneing please.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Feb 28, 2009, 04:28 AM

How far along are you again? You may be feeling Braxtion Hicks contractions... think of them as practice contractions. Your uterus actually contracts throughout much of pregnancy, but you tend to feel it more towards the end. It may help to get plenty to drink and change your activity... if you were walking around and feeling them, go sit and relax for awhile for example. If you notice a pattern, start timing them. If you are before 37 weeks and you are getting more than 4 or 5 in an hour, and the increase in fluids, and changing activity doesn't cause them to subside, let your doctor or midwife know.
    lil-mama08 Posts: 51, Reputation: 1

Feb 28, 2009, 09:48 AM
    I'm 39 weeks. And they usually come when I sit. And then sometimes when I walk and then I have to stop but I don't know.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Feb 28, 2009, 12:38 PM

If they come and go, depending on what you are doing, they are likely braxton hicks. The real thing may start tonight, it may start in a couple of weeks... :)
    If you start to notice more of them, start writing down how often you feel them. Had your midwife or doctor let you know when they would want you to call them? Often you will hear when the contractions are pretty regular, and not going away, to give them a heads up, but that doesn't mean you have to go in at that time. General rule of thumb for going in is when contractions are 3-5 minutes apart for at least an hour. We use the 4-1-1... 4 minutes apart, lasting 1 minute long, for 1 hour. Also will depend on how you are feeling, time of day, and how far away you live.
    Hopefully not too much longer for you!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Was it contractions at 27w5d? [ 4 Answers ]

Yesterday was a pretty normal day for me. I finally picked out a crib, which was quite stressful, but I finally have one ordered. I was fairly inactive and the only complaint was some serious heartburn all day. Well, last night around 8 I started having cramps. They were constant and didn't let up...

False contractions [ 4 Answers ]

Okay, I know all about braxton hicks contractions... but I heard that they were only supposed to be "uncomfortable". Well, I am 7 months pregnant, and have for the past few days ben having at least 1 contraction a day. The contraction catches me off guard, goes across my entire stomach, all the way...

Dachund contractions [ 2 Answers ]

How long are dachund contractions? Pleas answer urgently! Or [email protected]

Having contractions but only 2 cm [ 1 Answers ]

I went in to preterm labor at 34 weeks they used mag to stop it and now that I have reached 37 weeks my contractions are strong and come 5 or 6 times an hour I have dialated to 2 cm and my doctors says if I get to 3 cm he will do a c-section (baby breech) I want to know how to get this last cm so I...

Are These Contractions! [ 1 Answers ]

Well later that night I noticed when I put my hand on her hip, my cat had tightening of the muscles beginning. It felt alsmost like a vibration, but you could feel kind of a strain. Are these contractions?

View more questions Search