Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cpurple03 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2008, 01:55 PM
    Pregnancy test confused
    I went to my doctor, and he did a urine pregnancy test, it was positive, the next day I had a blood test, the doctor called and said the blood test was negative and that I am not pregnant, I then did 2 home tests and they were negative as well, but I have not had my period dince December 26th and its now feb 26th. Does anyone have similar experiances or any advice for me? Thank you!
    jolienoire Posts: 917, Reputation: 166

Feb 25, 2008, 02:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cpurple03
    i went to my doctor, and he did a urine pregnancy test, it was positive, the next day i had a blood test, the doctor called and said the blood test was negative and that iam not pregnant, i then did 2 home tests and they were negative as well, but i have not had my period dince december 26th and its now feb 26th. does anyone have simular experiances or any advice for me? thank you!

DO you know which blood test was done A quantitative blood test, usually called a beta (hCG) test can detect minimal levels of HCG hormone, and the qualititative measures the exact units of hCG in the blood and will give you a yes or no answer. I am not sure which one he performed, however I am shock that he didn't run further test as providing you with an ultrasound to or a pelvic exam to make for certain you are not pregnant. Are you on any pills, any medications? Stress? Have you recently been taking any birthcontrol? A missed menses can indicate many things.. even hormone imbalance, its hard to give an accurate answer without evaluating your medical history.

If you feel that you are not satisfied with your doctor you can always get a second opinion, or find another doctor.
    buggage Posts: 1,514, Reputation: 165
    Ultra Member

Feb 26, 2008, 09:44 AM
    False positive results are very rare, and typically are due to an very early miscarriage, rather then being a true false positive. I suggest that you talk with your doctor about the results, and see if you can obtain a quantatative blood test. This will answer without doubt whether you are pregnant. This test measures the exact amount of hcg in your system. If there is enough hcg present to suggest pregnancy, the test will be repeated within a few days, to see if the numbers are doubling as they should in a normal healthy pregnancy. Its important to remember that every test measures hcg levels at different strengths. Also, the longer the urine is held in your bladder, the more hcg builds up. That is why they suggest you test with first morning urine, as it has a higher concentration of hcg in your system, from not peeing as often through the night. Qualatative blood tests(the most common blood test to be given for determining pregnancy) is typically more accurate at detecting pregnancy then hpts. However, they are not without error. If your hcg levels still aren't high enough to register on it, it is possible to get a false negative. So, I suggest you talk to your doctor about the mixed results. As it has been a few months since you had your period, it is definitely a good idea to talk to your physician immediately, and figure out what is going on.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How soon can I take a Pregnancy Test? [ 2 Answers ]

My partner and I have been trying for 3 months and I was wondering how long after ovulation should you wait to do a test?

Pregnancy test [ 2 Answers ]

If your period doesn't come on the day that it supposed to normally.. does this mean your pregnant & to take a test that same day or what?

Pregnancy test [ 2 Answers ]

This might sound like a dumb question--is it possible for some women to never register on a urine pregnancy test?

Blood test or pregnancy test? [ 3 Answers ]

Is a blood test more accurate to tell if someone is pregnant than a pregancy test?

View more questions Search