Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    harrywispa Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 4, 2008, 08:36 AM
    Bi fold doors
    Hi I would like to know if it is possible, and if so how, to adapt a moulded interior door into a bi fold door, as all the doors in my house are the same and I cannot purchase a bifold to match? Is it possible to use a moulded door even though they are hollow in the middle?
    Thanks
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Aug 4, 2008, 09:01 AM
    I'm not sure of what you are asking here.

Do you want to replace all of your hollow core doors within your home with bi fold doors? Or just some of the doors?

Do you want to use an overhead track for the doors (suspended) or did you want fixed pivots for the doors?

Are you concerned that the mortises will be showing from where the hinge plates were cut into the wood?
    amricca Posts: 851, Reputation: 92

Aug 4, 2008, 09:03 AM
    I think he is asking if he can cut a door in half to create a bi-fold. If it is hollow it will take some re-working to make it happen.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Aug 4, 2008, 10:46 AM
    You can't cut a hollow core door down the center and make a bifold, you might get away with it on a solid door. In any case I do not think the finished product is going to be acceptable or good looking.
    amricca Posts: 851, Reputation: 92

Aug 4, 2008, 12:10 PM
    I bet you could get a wood working shop to make you some new doors to match, might be pricey but at least they would match.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Aug 4, 2008, 07:30 PM
    You can cut a molded hollow core door and make it into a bi-fold.

Really fairly easy. Rip down the center. Push back the card board webbing in side. Cut a filler strip to a width of 1 to 1 1/4". Cut filler strip to exact thickness to fit inside skin. Measure the thickness of the top or bottom filler strip. Coat inside of skin with wood glue (Titebond) both sides. Coat filler strip with thin film of glue (both sides). Slip in place. Clamp and let dry. You will need lots of small clamps to clamp about every six inches or clamp a board on both sides of the door to distribute the pressure. That way you need about 4 clamps. One at top and bottom and two in between. Don't need a lot of pressure just need to have it distributed along the edge. When you insert the filler strip let it stick out about a 1/6". Resaw the edge after the glue has dried taking off about a 32nd of the skin. Door will look just like it came from the factory. No need to nail. The factory doesn't nail. Can be done with table saw or with circular saw and good straight edge. Purchase bi-fold door hardware kit and hang door.

If you don't have a table saw find a friend with one, to make the filler the correct thickness.
    Filler strip can be made of anything, fir (a 2x4) probably best. Some of these doors don't have any wood in them now, all pressed fiber board.

PS
    Run a screw partially in at the top and bottom of the filler strip to use as a "handle" to pull it back out when you push it in too far.
    JohnsPop Posts: 99, Reputation: 2

Aug 13, 2008, 04:14 PM
    I agree with Harold. Lot of work but I think it's do-able. Harrywispa, by moulded do you mean your doors are 6 panel doors? Masonite makes a moulded 6 panel hollow core bifold door that HD and Lowe's both carry. They should come reasonably close to matching an existing wood 6 panel door. Probably close enough that I wouldn't modify a regular door. :-)
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Aug 13, 2008, 11:45 PM
    Just to clarify, I speak from experience. It's not just do able, I have done it several times for various reasons. Not really that much work. If you have a table saw to size the filler strips it's about an hours' work.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pull-down, fold-up attic steps: safely opening and closing them [ 16 Answers ]

The ceiling to my attic is ten-feet high. After years of struggling with a normal ladder, I asked a contractor to install pull-down, fold-up attic steps. This consists of three section, two of them hinged. To lower the sections, I need to pivot both out-and-over my head and at the same time,...

Can I fold a roll of carpet? [ 1 Answers ]

I need to transport Berber carpet (about 15x14) from one home to another. Can I fold it over without damaging it, to fit inside a cargo van, or should I rent a larger truck? Thanks!

Doors [ 2 Answers ]

What is the opening size I need to cut when installing a prehung door on a wall?

Windows and doors [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone have any input on comparing Silverline windows and Jeldwin windows? How does each of them rate? ALso, compare Millikin patio doors vs. Jeldwin doors. Thanks Stephanie

The best way to fold a shirt ! [ 7 Answers ]

Check this video. Very cool, very useful :p ;) http://ahafun.net/index.php?action=showpic&pic=41 Do you know any other way ? Let me know, thanks !

View more questions Search