Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ljh6439's Avatar
    ljh6439 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member
     
    #1

    Aug 5, 2016, 12:19 PM
    Is it normal and safe to feel electrical shock in pool
    We were recently on vacation and several family members were shocked when stepping in and out of pool! Others by touching the coping! Property mgmt said the number readings were safe. My husband and son are both electricians and do not agree! My daughter also received a shock when opening the dishwasher in the house! Seems to me there is something more serious and there is a grounding problem that needs to be addressed! Do you agree? Please help as we don't think we should rent this house again!
    Laura
    ma0641's Avatar
    ma0641 Posts: 15,681, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member
     
    #2

    Aug 5, 2016, 01:33 PM
    You report what happened and "Seems to me there is something more serious and there is a grounding problem that needs to be addressed!-YES. Do you agree?-YES Please help -What do you want us to do? As we don't think we should rent this house again!"-Good Idea. Obviously a grounding or stray voltage issue. We have no idea as to how the house is wired.
    smoothy's Avatar
    smoothy Posts: 25,495, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member
     
    #3

    Aug 5, 2016, 01:38 PM
    I agree with ma0641.

    Electric shocks are simply NOT right or a normal condition to occur... (except the static electricity variety).
    dontknownuthin's Avatar
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member
     
    #4

    Aug 5, 2016, 02:18 PM
    Are you kidding me? There are no accepted "numbers" for electrical current in or around a swimming pool. I would report the facility to their local building inspectors and would consider also reporting it to the fire department. Disaster waiting to happen.
    Dr_Spa's Avatar
    Dr_Spa Posts: 101, Reputation: 13
    Junior Member
     
    #5

    Aug 7, 2016, 07:04 AM
    Really? You don't want to rent a DEATH TRAP?
    Stratmando's Avatar
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member
     
    #6

    Aug 8, 2016, 11:10 AM
    Will need to be checked by a good Electrician, They will put a meter on it to see the voltage, then maybe turn equipment off 1 by one to find the culprit, Grounding will need to be intact as well. They used to use 120 volt lights in Pools? Verify it is Low Voltage, Most Pool Light Transformers have multiple taps to output 12, 13, 14 volts, the 14 would be for a longer low voltage run.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

 

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.


Check out some similar questions!

Mild electrical shock in swimming pool [ 2 Answers ]

Everything in our pool is grounded yet when we touch the concrete when wet or in the pool we get a mild shock. Turned off all electric and we still get it. Had numerous people out and still no solution. We have a fiberglass pool with salt not chlorine. Any suggestions.

Pool shock [ 1 Answers ]

I have a wood wall inground pool.while sitting on wet concrete you get a mild sting or tingle on your feet or fingers.put meter in pool picked up a reading of 3 volts.shut down main to house and still have current in pool.any input about this problem.

Electrical shock from swimming pool [ 1 Answers ]

Great info but has anyone found the same culprit or has it been a different solution for all? My pool is in Sandbridge in Virginia Beach. I have noticed a very mild tingle for a few years and no one else ever complained. Now fast forward to 2012 and the shocks are much worse to the point where the...

Mild electrical shock in swimming pool [ 72 Answers ]

:eek: Our swimming pool pump is grounded to the ladder in the pool and also to a copper grounding rod in the ground. The problem is when you touch the wet concrete around the pool while touching the water in the pool you get a mild shock. We've checked it with a voltage meter{the blk. Electrode...

Mild electrical shock in swimming pool [ 2 Answers ]

I have the same problem in my pool in Tobago. Pool lights turned off but I still get a tingle from the light surround (die cast alum) and the stainless steel handrail. I have installed an earth bond between the deck box, had rail and sub panel earth point. I have further installed an earth...


View more questions Search