Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jammy23 Posts: 545, Reputation: 0

Feb 13, 2008, 07:24 AM
    The American Thinker
    Can you tell me what kind of publication is The American Thinker... right or left or
    Independent. Also, about Ed Laskey... his background. I'm getting a few emails
    Saying Obama is anti Israel and it seems to stem from Ed Laskey.
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Feb 13, 2008, 08:38 AM
    The American Thinker is a conservative internet publication which does state "The right to exist and the survival of the State of Israel are of great importance to us."

Lasky goes into great detail about his reservations of Obama in relation to Israel and the Middle East. It's worth a look.

Steve
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Feb 13, 2008, 08:43 AM
    Not willing to offer the same support to Israel does not make one 'anti-Israel'. Geez. Whip up the frenzy some more.
    Anyway I agree with his stance, another reason to like the guy.
    Ultra Member

Feb 13, 2008, 09:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma
    Not willing to offer the same support to Israel does not make one 'anti-Israel'. Geez. Whip up the frenzy some more.
    Anyway I agree with his stance, another reason to like the guy.
    You sure are hard to please, NK. Offering a link to a thorough article and saying "It's worth a look" is whipping up "frenzy?" LOL, I'd hate to see your response if I had said Lasky was right instead of just steering someone to the source to decide for themselves... or are you opposed to be people researching and making up their own minds? :rolleyes:
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Feb 13, 2008, 09:15 AM
    That expression was referring to the author not you. Sorry for the confusion.
    Ultra Member

Feb 13, 2008, 09:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma
    That expression was referring to the author not you. Sorry for the confusion.
    No prob, but the article was well researched and thoroughly cited.
    Ultra Member

Feb 13, 2008, 10:06 AM
    Also, to be fair, American Thinker does give Obama some credit in a later article:

The articles prompted much discussion -- we were gratified by expressions of support for our inquiries; and took to heart some of the criticism that was also received. Perhaps the analysis could have mentioned some of the well-publicized positive steps Obama has taken in this area. As he began his Presidential campaign, Obama expressed support for Israel's right to defend herself. He stated:

"efforts to bring peace must begin with a clear and strong commitment to the security of Israel, our strongest ally in the region and its only established democracy. That will be my starting point."

These were welcome remarks, and received no small amount attention among those concerned with the America-Israel relationship.

His recent actions -- speaking out against anti-Semitism during the Martin Luther King, Jr. holiday and his drafting of a letter to the American Ambassador to the United Nations calling for the United Nations Security Council to take into account rocket attacks against Israel when dealing with the events in Gaza are also positive. So too, in his conference call on Monday with reporters from Haaretz and Jewish papers, Obama reiterated his support for Israel as a Jewish state, appeared to oppose a Palestinian right of return, and did not support talks with Hamas at this time.
    Their stand is explained in this article as basically what Jonathan Tobin of Jewish Exponent said. We should be...

"... asking about the presence of confirmed Israel-bashers among his advisers, such as Jimmy Carter's national security adviser Zbigniew Brezhinski, and Robert Malley, a Clinton-administration staffer who's been a relentless apologist for Yasser Arafat and the Palestinians. [... ]

"Concern about racism should motivate us to speak out when Obama or any African-American is treated unfairly. But even though black-Jewish relations remain sensitive, that shouldn't silence questions about a man who may well become president."
    Don't you agree?
    BABRAM Posts: 561, Reputation: 145

Feb 13, 2008, 12:32 PM
    Obama is supportive of the Israeli State remaining as is; right to existence. As a Jew, and one that has weighed in on Zionist issues more than once, Obama understands the haven Israel represents for Jews in general. He also understands the right the Israeli government has to protect (defend) itself. Jews have always had a continuous presence in Israel, although the migration populace swelled significantly due to the holocaust and eventually brought about the current government. The Palestinian/Israeli conflict-relations issue has been subject of every U.S. presidency going back some fifty plus years. Carter is commonly understood to be the least outwardly supportive of Israel. Clinton (Bill), backed off his pro-Israel support after entering office causing concern among Jewish communities here in the States. Bush, like many politicians before him, has made a late cosmetic pilgrimage to Israel in hopes of striking up the peace band. Personally one of my favorite presidents that held strong support for Israel (and Jews in general) was LBJ, whom my grandmother knew as a collegian. As an American, my hope is that Obama (or any of the candidates) make good on their campaigned support of Israel. I say this not only in protection of Jews living in Israel, but knowing that the Israeli govt made accommodations for a very long time trying to integrate Palestinians to be productive in society. Of course that didn't work out so well when the PLO stirred the masses and called for the annihilation of Israel. But L-rd knows the Israeli govt tried. In conclusion, Obama knows that the State of Israel is an ally that bolsters our US presence in the Mid-East region.

About Obama:

Obama and Israel - January 9, 2008 - The New York Sun

In addition here is recent news on Bush and his trip to Israel and how he views his faith as a Christian and that of Muslims:

Bush: I would run as 'change' agent - The White House - MSNBC.com

Bobby

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Negative thinker here with problems. [ 20 Answers ]

Hi I have this problem. I'm quite the negative thinker which I'm trying my best to stop by redirecting negative thoughts to positive ones. But one thing that is very hard for me to stop worrying is how much friends one of my close buddies have compared to me. I have no friends because I really have...

How are American people? [ 13 Answers ]

I am from China. Still now, after studying in US for 2 years, I couldn't give a summary to my friends in my country when I was asked about my general ideas about American people. I was taught people here were open, frank, and easy-minded. However, when really contacting people in this country,...

How does she become American like me? [ 1 Answers ]

My fiancé is a Canada native.. She wants to live here in the USA with me, I'm an American how do we take care of this situation?. I'm enlisted in the Us Navy, and I'm going to ship out in January... Can she stay in base with me? While the paper work is pending? Cause I also did a K-1 it's in...

American Government [ 1 Answers ]

Definition of: the group that thought the Constitution set up a government that was too powerful was the ____________?

View more questions Search