Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dark_crow Posts: 1,405, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Feb 20, 2008, 04:51 PM
    Yeah, Utah has a Bill in the works now too. I hope these Bill's force undocumented families to return to their countries and apply for legal U.S. status there. If enough are forced into Texas they too will have to do something.

Tough anti-illegal immigration law gets mixed reviews - Salt Lake Tribune
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 21, 2008, 05:18 AM
    Hello:

I have a pot that I love. As soon as I'm done cooking something, I wash it. Every time I do that, I think of Tio.

During my high school summer hiatus, I was working as a go-fer in a local restaurant. Tio was the dishwasher. He was illegal. Just as soon as the cooks gave him a hot pot to wash, he'd stick it in the water causing it to steam, and start washing it. That's what I do with my favorite pot.

I don't know why I think of Tio. This job was 50 years ago. But I do. I'm a sappy old guy. I don't want to send Tio back to Mexico. I want to find a way for Tio to stay in his home - the USA.

I know you throw 'em out crowd have no idea what I'm talking about. It's OK. I'm not going to stop.

excon
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Feb 21, 2008, 06:13 AM
    Did Tio work on the books ? Or was his employer scamming the system ? I paid for school by working the same job Tio did in the college cafeteria... me and about 100 other students... in the summer I worked in a greasy spoon diner cleaning pots... eventually I was permitted to make the fried pork sandwiches . I wonder if I could get that job now to pay for school .
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 21, 2008, 06:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55
    did Tio work on the books ? or was his employer scamming the system ?
    Hello tom:

Since he was illegal, I assume "off" the books. But that wasn't Tio's fault. There were a lot of people asleep at the switch for a lot of years, but it wasn't Tio's fault.

The border patrol didn't do anything. The labor departments didn't do anything. Nobody did anything. Everybody knew it was happening. You too. Where was your voice? Everybody who was anybody had an illegal working for them... It was cool.

Clearly, they were invited if even tacitly. And, yes lots of people took advantage of it - but you aren't asking any of THEM to leave their homes

excon
    Dark_crow Posts: 1,405, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Feb 22, 2008, 11:06 AM
    excon

I'm not sure what to make of, ”asleep at the switch.” Does that mean you think something should have been done to stop it then?

What has happened- what is the cause of those people “asleep at the switch” waking-up, and now wanting the law enforced?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

About immigrant rights! [ 5 Answers ]

Do you think immigrant should have the same rights with people in the country they live?? If yes, why? If no, why not?? Thanks

Marriage to an immigrant [ 2 Answers ]

What steps do I take to marry my fiancé whois not legal here in the U.S.

Illegal Immigrant in Italy [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Everyone, Is there anyone out their that can help me? I am 58 years old and my boyfriend is some 22 years old - please do not all go errrr! It does happen. We have been together for 3 years in August, he loves me and I love him very much. We have been living in Italy, him illegally...

Divorcing an Immigrant in Callifornia [ 2 Answers ]

My girlfreind will be here soon from Thailand on a fiancé visa and she has no money and I have a good amount of money. My question is, if we do marry without a prenup and we get a divorce with in a couple of years, will I have to give her half? We are located in California by the way.

View more questions Search