Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Aug 31, 2007, 11:07 AM
    The under reported news of the week
    While everyone was focusing on a Senator playing footsie in brokeback bathroom there was a major story about campaigns being financed by foreign contributions . Norman Hsu took time out from his busy work of being a fugitive to grease the pockets of Evita Clinton and other prominent California Democrats.(today he turned himself in)

Fugitive fundraiser's California contributions / Wanted on Bay Area grand theft warrant, Dem donor gave $53,000 to causes in state

Evidently Hsu laundered the contributions through families of modest means .

Newsom's campaign also received $2,950 in donations from members of the Paw family of Daly City, longtime friends and business associates of Hsu. The family, which lives in a modest home not far from Westmoor High School, has given more than $280,000 to various Democratic causes, many of them to the same causes and candidates supported by Hsu.
    McCain-Feingold evidently tried to stop Americans from exercising their free speech by donating to the candidate of their choice but did little to stop the pernicious influence of foreign money in our electoral system.

Ms Clinton is reported to have been surprised that one of her top donors was a criminal on the lam . Hue replied "pardon me?"
    Choux Posts: 3,047, Reputation: 376
    Ultra Member

Aug 31, 2007, 11:28 AM
    Competing with a US Senator soliciting lewd acts in a public place, and the Iraq War.. all the bad news adding up about that... that kind of stuff REALLY SELLS.

Can't say your story was underreported; I saw the story.
    Ultra Member

Aug 31, 2007, 11:38 AM
    It was on page 17 .
    Dark_crow Posts: 1,405, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Aug 31, 2007, 11:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55
    While everyone was focusing on a Senator playing footsie in brokeback bathroom there was a major story about campaigns being financed by foreign contributions . Norman Hsu took time out from his busy work of being a fugitive to grease the pockets of Evita Clinton and other prominent California Democrats.(today he turned himself in)

Fugitive fundraiser's California contributions / Wanted on Bay Area grand theft warrant, Dem donor gave $53,000 to causes in state

Evidently Hsu laundered the contributions through families of modest means .

McCain-Feingold evidently tried to stop Americans from exercising their free speech by donating to the candidate of their choice but did little to stop the pernicious influence of foreign money in our electoral system.

Ms Clinton is reported to have been suprised that one of her top donors was a criminal on the lam . Hue replied "pardon me?"
    I fail to see anything more than usual, except that Norman Hsu wasn’t in jail where he should have been.
    Ultra Member

Aug 31, 2007, 11:44 AM
    Tom, I don't read newspapers. I'm an internet person.
    Ultra Member

Aug 31, 2007, 11:48 AM
    Well then just imagine a Republican getting an illegal donation from a foreign source. That would've certainly bumped Craig off page one. Don't think that Republican campaign sources wouldn't be the news of the week and more ? Just ask the Hammer Tom Delay .
    Ultra Member

Aug 31, 2007, 11:52 AM
    well then just imagine a Republican getting an illegal donation from a foreign source. That would've certainly bumped Craig off of page one. Don't think that Republican campaign sources wouldn't be the news of the week and more ? Just ask the Hammer Tom Delay .
    Illegal donation from a foreign source... How so
    Ultra Member

Aug 31, 2007, 11:58 AM
    Speaking of Tom Delay... did you see him on "Hardball" yesterday? What a classic performance. He called Matthews a "LIBERAL" and flustered him while he was playing hardball over the Sen. Larry Craig, arch conservative, lewd homosexual act in a public restroom! Matthews even played the tape of the police interview... as they say, PRICELESS. :):):)
    Ultra Member

Aug 31, 2007, 12:03 PM
    Crow I got to leave for the day . Follow the net links . Hsu is associated with the same group that gave Clinton Chinese money in 1996 . He also has ties to the Chinese Mafia...
    Ultra Member

Aug 31, 2007, 12:06 PM
    Chou

Norman Hsu is the Democrat Jack Abramoff.
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Aug 31, 2007, 12:07 PM
    Tom, naturally Hillary was surprised, she obviously knew nothing about the man...

Norman Hsu, with Hillary Clinton at a 2005 fund-raiser, said he will stop raising money until his legal issues are resolved. (stephen schwartz photo)

The basic facts about the donor at the center of a growing scandal.
    August 31, 2007

Legal status: Pleaded no contest to grand theft in a 1991 California case related to a scheme to defraud investors. Agreed to serve up to three years, but did not show up for sentencing.

Occupation: Active in raising funds for Democratic candidates; describes himself as an apparel executive.

Board affiliations: Board of trustees, the New School (New York); board of governors, Eugene Lang College, the New School for Liberal Arts (New York).

Education: Bachelor of arts in computer science, UC Berkeley, 1973; master of business administration, the Wharton School, 1981.
    Sounds like a Clinton kind of guy.

In other news you may be interested in, Former Republican Senator Thompson to announce presidential run September 6.
    Ultra Member

Sep 1, 2007, 01:45 AM
    Steve ,

If you follow there earmarks you will find that Hillary has directed a nice sum of money at New School (President Bob Kerry... former Gov.and Senator from Nebraska as well as unsuccessful Presidential candidate and membr of the 9-11 Commission ).

By the way . This isn't the only fugative that has helped Hillary raise funds. Abdul Rehman Jinnah according to the LA Slimes is a Pakistani who funneled illegal contributions to Clinton’s political action committee and Sen. Barbara Boxer’s 2004 reelection campaign. Authorities say Northridge businessman Abdul Rehman Jinnah, 56, fled the country after an indictment accused him of engineering more than $50,000 in illegal donations to the Democratic committees. (another news item that was overlooked... not that it wasn't reported ;but it wasn't pounded like the Abramoff story) The LA Slimes has since removed the story from their site so you have to follw the links through old blogs.
    The NY Post reported on his becoming a fugitive

PRO-CLINTON 'DIRTY CASH' MAN FLEES | By CHRISTINE FIELD | National News | US News | Current National News

I found out in a Pakistani link that he surrendered in May .

Daily Times - Leading News Resource of Pakistan

It is unclear if Hillary and Boxer returned his donations.
    Ultra Member

Sep 1, 2007, 01:57 AM
    Speaking of Tom Delay... did you see him on "Hardball" yesterday?
    No but I saw the trascripts

DELAY : I'm not defending Larry Craig, if he's guilty. What I do know is the Republicans, as they have in the past, when you have members that have problems or scandals and they are found guilty, the Republican Party does the right thing and kicks them out.

What I was saying and what I have been saying, the character of the Democrat Party comes out because when their people have scandals and have been found to be guilty, they reelect them. That's my point.

MATTHEWS: Give me an example.

DELAY: Oh, there's plenty of examples. Alcee Hastings, a judge from Florida who was impeached by the House of Representatives, removed from office because of bribery by the United States Senate, was elected to the Congress. And the Democrats not only seated him, but they were going to make him chairman of the intelligence committee.

Barney Frank caught with a prostitute ring run by his boyfriend and living in his home, censured by the House of Representatives, is now chairman of a very influential finance committee—financial services committee. Alan Mollohan, who is a congressman from West Virginia, being investigated by the FBI, the Democrats make him chairman of the subcommittee that has oversight of the budget of the FBI. And I could go on and on. Ted Kennedy still a United States senator, and he continues to be reelected.

MATTHEWS: Well...

DELAY: William Jefferson was caught with $90,000 in his freezer and was reelected to come back to the House.

MATTHEWS: You're on a roll. You forgot Gerry Studds up in Massachusetts was censured by the House for seducing a young male page.
    'Hardball with Chris Matthews' for August 30 - Hardball with Chris Matthews - MSNBC.com
    BABRAM Posts: 561, Reputation: 145

Sep 1, 2007, 06:14 AM

Ms Clinton is reported to have been suprised that one of her top donors was a criminal on the lam . Hue replied "pardon me?"

Well I did miss this news, but I'm not surprised. Both major parties have been campaigning and raising money legally and illegally for a long time. Govt as usual is big business and to get to the top many of the players have willing backers (finance), willing acquaintances with short memories able to pull strings, and if it comes down to it, make sure the vote count is favorable if needed. When it comes to elections we are just barely more civilized than lesser countries on the second and third world tier that use every method known, including physical abuse. We just have our own special brand of politics including the big gala evenings and 25k luncheons.:rolleyes:

Bobby
    Ultra Member

Sep 2, 2007, 03:17 AM
    The unanswered question still remains ; where did Hsu get the money to donate ?

This was buried near the bottom of a NY Slimes blog

Similarly, for a number of businesses that Mr. Hsu has listed in recent years as his own, no corporation records are available, and visits to addresses he has given in campaign finance filings found no trace of them.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/01/us...cs&oref=slogin

His lawyer is trying to float the story that he was heavily invested in Silicon Valley . So he goes on the lam and evidently ends up in Hong Kong in the garment industry (a latex glove mogul );then returns to California and becomes heavily invested in Silicon Valley . He then takes his new found wealth and becomes a Democrat kingmaker ,getting his photo taken with Hillary ,Elliot Spitzer ,and Barbara Boxer and many other prominent Democrat leaders... He was able to establish himself as a " point of access to Asian supporters" . All this while being a 15 year fugitive.

Update

He turned himself in and was released on 2 million dollar bail.This begs the question of who put up the bail money and why did a fugative get any release on bail anyway ? It's not like he's not a flight risk having gone to China once before after being convicted.

There are a lot of unanswered questions here but the MSM seems to be focusing on how Hillary et al are being responsible by distancing themselves from him and donating or returning his donations.

Again ;my point is that given the many facets of this story ;if Hillary were a Republican ,and if Hsu were fund raising for Republicans this story would've gotten the same level of coverage that Abramoff got.And when you add the prior history of Clinton contributions that were illegally obtained from foreign sources it deserves the same scrutiny .
    Ultra Member

Sep 2, 2007, 08:15 AM
    I don't know Tom, 53,000 spread around doesn't buy much, particularly in contrast to: Capital Eye - PRESS CLIPS

Also, the Craig story is just starting:

Ben Stein Says Craig Was Lynched Twice, Commentator Says GOP Senator Was Set-Up By "Stalinist" Police, And Then Tossed Overboard By Own Party - CBS News
    Ultra Member

Sep 3, 2007, 01:40 AM
    Stings don't happen without the willing participation of the person stung. Craig went out of his way to go to this bathroom location . It was not on the direct route between his transfers . He knew where it was and for what purpose it was being used .

I only agree with Stein in the fact that the cop did not collect enough evidence to hold up . But had the cop let the sting continue to it's logical conclusion I have no doubt there would've been a solicitation. The question I have is ; if no cash was exchanged then why is a pick up illegal?. and the answer is because this was not a pick up gay bar. It was a location where a person should be expected to go to in privacy ,with or without their children, and not be propositioned .

Even if Craig did nothing illegal his conduct was unbecoming a US Senator and his collogues did the right thing

$53 thousand ? Hsu laundered over $200 thousand through one postal worker's family and it is yet unclear how much total money he laundered... or it's source . This story should continue to be vigorously investigated by the press ans well as the Justice Dept. . But it will be buried . The Clintonoid stooges in the MSM will make it so.
    Ultra Member

Sep 3, 2007, 09:09 AM
    Stings don't happen without the willing participation of the person stung. Craig went out of his way to go to this bathroom location . It was not on the direct route between his transfers . He knew where it was and for what purpose it was being used .

I only agree with Stein in the fact that the cop did not collect enough evidence to hold up . But had the cop let the sting continue to it's logical conclusion I have no doubt there would've been a solicitation. The question I have is ; if no cash was exchanged then why is a pick up illegal ? ....and the answer is because this was not a pick up gay bar. It was a location where a person should be expected to go to in privacy ,with or without their children, and not be propositioned .

Even if Craig did nothing illegal his conduct was unbecoming a US Senator and his collogues did the right thing

$53 thousand ? Hsu laundered over $200 thousand through one postal worker's family and it is yet unclear how much total money he laundered .....or it's source . This story should continue to be vigorously investigated by the press ans well as the Justice Dept. . But it will be buried . The Clintonoid stooges in the MSM will make it so.
    Tom I used the $53,000 in your OP. And I still question the assertion, “illegal donation from a foreign source.”

The term “laundered” is also without evidence. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Good news or bad news are these doctors of their rocker? [ 4 Answers ]

Hello everyone, well I went to the doctor today concerning my miscarriage last week. Some of you may have read my post about having discharge and why the bleeding stopped (after only 3-4 days), well it turns out I am one of those women who can pass everything in 4 days. I have had an ultrasound...

Determining to which sate the wages should be reported [ 3 Answers ]

I work in NJ on contract and live in NJ but my employer is in NC. I pay NC taxes and not paying NJ taxes. Is it OK?

Non-reported reimbursements by the company [ 1 Answers ]

Last year my company reimbursed me for college tuition and immigration fees that I paid out of my pocket when I was on OPT and working with the company. No tax was deducted for the payments and are not reported in the W-2. They told me to report it by myself. I will be filing 1040NR because I...

View more questions Search