Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ysabelangel Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Aug 14, 2007, 08:55 AM
    Family support/spouse support/alimony
    I live in Northern California, I pay family support to my ex but is it the same than spouse+child support?
    How can I stop paying alimony to my ex who's getting married?
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Aug 14, 2007, 11:46 AM
    I have never heard of "family support." Usually, child support and alimony are two different things. As for the remarriage of your ex, file a motion with the court that issued the original order to advise them that your ex is getting remarried and ask the court to terminate the alimony order. Your ex's remarriage should release you from the obligatio of alimony. You'll still have to continue paying child support but you should no longer have to pay alimony.
    tawnynkids Posts: 622, Reputation: 111

Aug 14, 2007, 11:54 PM
    How long was it ordered to continue for or what were the exact terms for the family support ordered? Check to see if there is anything in your order about any amounts being "allocated" within the total "family support" amount.

Alimony is usually ordered to continue only for half the length of the marriage. It can be different if it was a long term marriage. And child support until the child turns 18 or until graduation if the child is a full time student and living at home, emancipates, or gets married.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Spouse support/alimony [ 1 Answers ]

I live in Northern California, how can I stop paying alimony to my ex who's getting married?

Alimony for spouse [ 2 Answers ]

Iam from Ohio and have been married for 6 years do I have to pay alimony and if so how do they figure this out. She is working now but she wouldn't work when we lived together and nothing has been filed yet. Thank you Jeff

Alimony when spouse is unemployed, AGAIN [ 1 Answers ]

I am about to embark on the finalizatiion of a long term marriage, (over 25+years) and my spouse is not working... I have waited for my children to grow up, but the last failure of employment dissolved the marriage. My youngest child is 17 and wants to stay in the family home, as I did. But I...

Scared Mom/Have To Pay Child Support & Alimony [ 20 Answers ]

I have the first meeting with my attorney, my husband and his attorney soon. I learned in the preliminary meeting with my attorney that my husband is filing for custody, child support and alimony. The alimony is based on him saying that he does not have the income to maintain the home that he will...

View more questions Search