What is a sess pool?

Asked Mar 31, 2008, 09:35 AM 5 Answers
    We bought our home about a year and a half ago. Instead of a septic system, they say it has a cess pool. I am really not sure what that is and the diffrence between the two. No one seems to give us a good answer. Also, they said we had about 2 years until it needed to be pumped. We were looking to do it sooner to try and avoid any problems. Is it treated like a septic system when it comes to pumping it? I have also read that they are dangerous and can collapse. Is there any truth to this?

Last edited by newbie987; Mar 31, 2008 at 09:47 AM.
    Search this Question
    massplumber2008's Avatar
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,602, Reputation: 1182
    Senior Plumbing Expert

#2

Mar 31, 2008, 09:49 AM

Hi Newbie:

Cesspools and cesspool septic systems for onsite wastewater disposal - What are Cesspools? What Cesspool Maintenance is Needed? How do Cesspools Systems Fail?

Check out this cesspool link.. says it better then I ever could.

Let us know if you need more... Mark

.
    tf7426's Avatar
    tf7426 Posts: 282, Reputation: 21

#3

Mar 31, 2008, 09:50 AM
    Cesspit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    ballengerb1's Avatar
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,292, Reputation: 2274
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

#4

Mar 31, 2008, 09:52 AM

A cess pool is pretty much a septic tank with no field tiles. It just allow the cleaner surface water to soak into the ground.
    ScottGem's Avatar
    ScottGem Posts: 64,664, Reputation: 6011
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

#5

Mar 31, 2008, 09:55 AM

If the cesspool is not maintained properly and pumped out when it should, then it could erode the container and surrounding ground causing a collapse. I know its happened a few times on LI in the last few years. At least one person died after it collapsed under him.
    speedball1's Avatar
    speedball1 Posts: 29,303, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

#6

Mar 31, 2008, 10:58 AM
    All good answers. They tell me a picture's worth a thousand words!

Unlevel pool [ 8 Answers ]

We just had an above ground pool put in and the company that put it in I would not recommend to anyone. It is unlevel about 1 1/2 to 2 inches. I was wondering if it was safe to use or do we need them to drain it and level it up right? By the way it took them 4 weeks to put it up.

Pool player wanting to start a pool hall in indianapolis [ 1 Answers ]

Simply; if anyone reading this is interested in starting a pool hall in indianapolis please reply. My name is lucas I have been around pool for over ten years and I currently work at a pool hall on the east side. My funds are low but, my will is high. I have several good ideas. Contact me...

Install New Pool Liner-Above Ground Pool [ 1 Answers ]

We are going to install a new liner in an above ground pool this weekend. I have read conflicting information as to when the skimmer and jet holes should be cut. Do you fill the pool with water within a foot of the skimmer, attach the trim kit and then cut out the liner? I don't know what to do,...

Pool, spitters or over pool jets of water [ 1 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me where to find the spitters that send streams of water over the pool. Thanks, Judy