sdbryson's Avatar
    sdbryson Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

#1

Apr 1, 2007, 12:05 PM
    Vent on kitchen sink
    Hello Y'all - I am new to the site. Does anyone know what the "vent" is called that is on the kitchen sink. It makes a noise when the dishwasher is going! :confused:
    speedball1's Avatar
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

#2

Apr 1, 2007, 12:13 PM
    Your dishwasher discharges into your disposal or a branch tailpiece located directed under the drain. You're will always hear some noise when it discharges.
    If a kitchen vent were clogged you would hear a "gurgle" from the trap.
    Is this a noise that just started up? If so describe it. Do you hear it when the sink drains? Back to you, Tom
    sdbryson's Avatar
    sdbryson Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

#3

Apr 1, 2007, 12:18 PM
    No...It just makes the "normal" noises. I just need to know what the cover is called. I bought a new faucet and it is a brushed nickel color instead of chrome. I need to know if I can find one in a brushed nickel!!! Everything has to match!!! So if I find out what it is called I can see if it comes in different colors! Do you know the name of it? Thanks for responding so quickly.
    ballengerb1's Avatar
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,379, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

#4

Apr 1, 2007, 12:23 PM
    It is just called a dishwasher vent. They come in chrome, plastic, etc... but I haven't seen any real fancy finishes. Try Lowe's, they are a bit more high end than HD.
    sdbryson's Avatar
    sdbryson Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

#5

Apr 1, 2007, 12:28 PM
    Thanks for your help.
    speedball1's Avatar
    Eternal Plumber

#6

Apr 1, 2007, 12:42 PM
    Sorry Bal but it's not called a dishwasher vent. It's called a dishwasher air gap. Also sorry to you too sdbryson, the word vent through my answer off.
    Click on; Air Gaps for dishwashers and water softeners and scroll down 9 items to find a dishwasher air gap #AIRCAGP-BRN in brushed/satin nickel finish for $19.95 Regards, Tom
    sdbryson's Avatar
    sdbryson Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

#7

Apr 1, 2007, 12:51 PM
    That's it.....that is what I needed. Thanks so much for your help.:D
    ballengerb1's Avatar
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

#8

Apr 1, 2007, 01:39 PM
    Tom is 100% correct, the term is air gap not vent. However, I might save you $17. Sounds like you already have an air gap so you don't need the entire kit. You can buy just the cap for $2.69 at Menards, brushed satin too. If Menards has it I'm sure the larger box stores will carry them too.
    sdbryson's Avatar
    sdbryson Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

#9

Apr 1, 2007, 02:06 PM
    Thank you so much... we don't have a Menards... I'll check at Home Depot, Lowe's and Ace Hardware. Again, thanks for your help.

Condo kitchen sink vent [ 3 Answers ]

Hello there, I am a designer and working on remodeling a condominium in a three-story building. My clients want to eliminate a wall in their kitchen, but in that wall there is the vent stack for the kitchen sink and dishwasher theirs and of the ones below (the condominium is on the third...

Kitchen Sink Vent [ 3 Answers ]

I recently had a new roof put on my house and during the installation, they broke a vent pipe and then put roofing shingles over it. I didn't know what this vent was until I was told by a friend that is was the kitchen sink vent. What are the consequences of this vent pipe now "roofed" over and...

Kitchen Sink/Laundry Sink Drain Vent Non-exist [ 3 Answers ]

The set-up from kitchen sink leading down to drain to basement: 1. Kitchen sink - (R side) - connected to a P drain I think you call it -PVC-, connected to a "metal" T, which has a Studer vent gizmo attached to the top of it, then draining into a metal pipe straight down to the drain in the...

Kitchen sink vent [ 4 Answers ]

I have an older house with a kitchen sink and wash machine that use the same drain. After washing clothes or dishes there is a nasty odor that comes from the basement. (I assume where the drain is) There seems to be no vent to the outside ? Does it need one? Does it have to go through the roof or...

Kitchen sink vent [ 1 Answers ]

I have moved into an apartment where the kitchen sink was put in as an afterthought and as such was not vented in any way. Is there a way to simply tee off from the drain and run a short stretch of PVC under the basin of the sink and up to above the level of the drain in order to vent the drain? I...