Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    2dhs Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 2, 2007, 11:49 AM
    Compression fitting on soft cooper pipe
    Is it possible to install a 3/4" valve with compression fitting on soft cooper tubing 3/4" as well? Will it fit? Will it hold? Tank you
    ThomasCKeat Posts: 157, Reputation: 12

May 2, 2007, 01:08 PM
    Flare it and use a flare fiting
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 2, 2007, 01:18 PM
    Are you doing water or gas with thgis fitting?
    Ken 297 Posts: 112, Reputation: 24

May 2, 2007, 01:30 PM
    Compression couplings are made for soft copper.
    They will hold and are a lot easier to use than flared couplings.
    It is getting hard to get flared fittings anymore.
    I am assuming this is water pipe.
    What type of valve are you using? If it is iron(female threads) you need a compression by 3/4 male iron adaptor at each end of the valve.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 3, 2007, 06:29 AM
    We have always used flared fittings on soft copper and compression fittings on hard copper. Compression fittings depend upon something to compress against. Soft copper does not have the ridged surface needed for the ferrule to compress against. If you're running gas lines use flare fittings. If you're running water use hard copper and compression or soldered fittings. Good luck, Tom
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 3, 2007, 07:38 AM
    I totally agree with Speedball1 and that's why I asked the question regarding water or gas. Ken297 says flared fitting are hard to find? Guess that's why we make our own flare with a flaring tool. Many homeowners do not know what constitutes soft copper/hard copper so confusion gets into the mix when there is a discussion. Go with Tom.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tips on copper compression fitting? [ 11 Answers ]

My problem is whenever I work with coppoer compression fittings, I never seem to get a good seal and something always leaks. Are there any tips on how to do it right? Should I use a hack saw verse my Reciprocating Saw to cut the tube? (SLow vs Fast). I know the cut has to be straight, then...

Alice cooper song and what movie? [ 2 Answers ]

Schools out for summer was A song for what movie that part of it was shot in Austin Texas... it came out in the early nineties

50mm solvent weld, plastic pipe fitting? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm trying to add some pipe work to what I thought must be a 50mm Solvent Weld type Tee piece. But when I measured the internal diameter of the tee piece it is actually 55mm and the 50mm pipe I have just rattles around inside. I thought that waste pipe only came in 50mm, is there such a thing as...

Removing galv fitting from cast iron pipe [ 4 Answers ]

What is the best way to remove a threaded stuck lead fitting from a cast iron section? The fitting was from a lead sink drain pipe and it connected to the cast pipe at the toilet elbow. I tried a pipe wrench and a hammer to try to budge it but no go. I want to thread new PVC into the section of...

View more questions Search