Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gork Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 20, 2005, 10:03 PM
    Replacement tub drain
    I am looking for a replacement tub waste plug. I was in the hardware store today and they had a wall full of replacement drain parts. The bathtub in my master bath has a drain that works fine but cosmetically was pretty beat up. It's 30 year old brass, and it was not going to clean up without being removed anwway. All the waste plugs in the hardware store looked to have the same size threading, so I got a new push/pull assembly and a replacement gasket for the one under the tub that I was sure would have to be replaced too and went home.

Taking the old plug out was quite a chore (I had to cut it out with a saw) but the worst part was finding that the new unit does not fit into the existing pipe. The old drain has a 1.5" OD threading, but all the replacements at the hardware store seem to have 1.75" OD threads. Both the new and the old are 2.5" around at the top and fit the tub fine. I would not have a problem changing out the drain pipe, but in this case I have no easy access to the underside of the tub since there is not an existing access panel.

I am hoping that for some reason plumbing codes have not changed since my house was built and such a fitting is still available. As an aside, I got into this same situation with some of my electirc floor boxes -- 3.5" dia floor boxes are no longer made and only 4.5" boxes and fittings are available. The company told me I'd have to jackhammer up my slab to change the floor boxes -- I got *ahem* creative instead.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 21, 2005, 08:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by gork
    I am looking for a replacement tub waste plug. I was in the hardware store today and they had a wall full of replacement drain parts. The bathtub in my master bath has a drain that works fine but cosmetically was pretty beat up. It's 30 year old brass, and it was not going to clean up without being removed anwway. All the waste plugs in the hardware store looked to have the same size threading, so I got a new push/pull assembly and a replacement gasket for the one under the tub that I was sure would have to be replaced too and went home.

Taking the old plug out was quite a chore (I had to cut it out with a saw) but the worst part was finding that the new unit does not fit into the existing pipe. The old drain has a 1.5" OD threading, but all the replacements at the hardware store seem to have 1.75" OD threads. Both the new and the old are 2.5" around at the top and fit the tub fine. I would not have a problem changing out the drain pipe, but in this case I have no easy access to the underside of the tub since there is not an existing access panel.

I am hoping that for some reason plumbing codes have not changed since my house was built and such a fitting is still available. As an aside, I got into this same situation with some of my electirc floor boxes -- 3.5" dia floor boxes are no longer made and only 4.5" boxes and fittings are available. The company told me I'd have to jackhammer up my slab to change the floor boxes -- I got *ahem* creative instead.

"I got a new push/pull assembly and a replacement gasket for the one under the tub that I was sure would have to be replaced too and went home."

You're going to have to do better then that. I'm not even sure exactly what is is that you wish to change out. If you're referring to a regular trip lever tub waste and overflow and the tub drain don't fit the old tub shoe, then you purchase the entire assembly. It sounds like you're attempting to "marry" to old with the new. The answer to your problem is to replace everything new.
    I don't see where you have any choice but to cut in a tub access hole. It should have been done when the house was built. Good luck, Tom
    darrel1953 Posts: 86, Reputation: 12

Mar 21, 2005, 11:08 PM
    Thread pattern for a tub strainer
    The part you are talking about is called a strainer and there are different thread patterns. One is considered fine and the other is considered coarse. A Plumbing store that specializes in hard to find parts should have them. There is a company called Larsen Supply Co. and they actually make them. You can go to their website at http://www.larsensupply.com/locations.html and find a phone number to call and ask if they know a wholesale house or retail store in your area that carries their parts. Good luck. Darrel
    gork Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 21, 2005, 11:37 PM
    Tom, sorry; my explination was not very good, I know. I am pretty green with plumbing, but I'm trying my best. :) Darrel seems to have gotten what I am talking about. I was just trying to replace the strainer with a new part that was not so old and corroded. It is a push-pull/twist type drain plug; not connected with a linkage or anything like that.

I went to the other hardware store tonight after work (Home depot -- I had gone to Lowe's yesterday) and found that they had parts to fit. The assemblies they sold had a brass bushing that would allow it to fit both 1 1/2" and 1 3/4" drain pipe. I took the old part in to be sure it was the same thread and size. I took it home and it fits great. I installed it with a new gasket underneath the tub and a big bead of silicone in between "just in case."

Thank you both for taking the time to respond. Tom, I only hope that after I have 50 years of experience doing something, I will be able to tolerate such rudimentary questions :D Thanks again!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cast iron shower drain in concrete floor-replacement [ 7 Answers ]

Hello. This is my first post here and I'd appreciate any help you can provide. I have a tiled shower on a concrete slab. The drain is cast iron... sort of a bowl-shaped 3" dia. opening with a lead seal to a 2"-2 1/4" cast iron pipe. In removing the old "Premier" pull-up drain stopper, the brass...

Shower replacement question - drain [ 1 Answers ]

I am replacing a tile shower with a fiberglass shower. The house is on a concrete slab. I have torn out the tile shower and pan. I cut the original drain below the concrete slab. My questions: If I install a drain before I set the shower, how do I determine the height of the drain pipe. ...

Replacement drain for 2" copper raiser [ 1 Answers ]

Ok, I have tile person coming to pour the new shower pan and tile mysoon to be new shower. All I have left to do is put in a new shower drain. The shower drains through a 2 inch copper pipe. The old brass or iron drain was welded ( I guess) on to the pipe. I knocked the heck out of it with a...

Drain replacement/vent [ 7 Answers ]

I searched around and couldn't find my answer. I am renovating the bathrooom in my 1944 home. The house has had many "patches" to it in the past before I moved in. Because of the drain configuration now, I need to replace the pipe to the main drain. My question is that the tub is a good 10 ft...

Replacement shower drain strainer [ 6 Answers ]

Our tiled in shower in the basement has a very rusty drain strainer (and rusty drain underneath it). I've looked for a replacement strainer, but none of them comes large enough to fit. The old strainer is 5 7/8 " in diameter. It has OLYMPIC stamped on it. Can I find a replacement? If not, do...

View more questions Search