Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ricky lee Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 16, 2007, 05:02 PM
    Water backing up in sink when running dishwasher
    I do not have an air gap. My hose has an upper loop and runs into the drain after the trap. The sink drains fine but when I run the dishwasher, water backs up into the sink. I tried drain cleaner and run an auger into the lines and I don't see signs of a clog. I ran the auger 25' into the line which is almost to the septic tank. What should I do next. Thanks!
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 17, 2007, 10:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ricky lee
    I do not have an air gap. My hose has an upper loop and runs into the drain after the trap. The sink drains fine but when I run the dishwasher, water backs up into the sink. I tried drain cleaner and run an auger into the lines and I don't see signs of a clog. I ran the auger 25' into the line which is almost to the septic tank. What should I do next. Thanks!
    You do not need a air gap if you have a drip loop installed in the drain hose.
    You say, "My hose has an upper loop and runs into the drain after the trap."
    AFTER the trap? Are you sure it doesn't drain into a branch tailpiece,(see image) BEFORE the trap? After the trap being downstream from it and allowing sewer gas to enter your dishwasher.
    Has this been a ongoing condition or did it just start? Let me know, Tom

Apr 17, 2007, 05:58 PM
    Thanks for the quick reply! The hose runs into what looks like a reducer coupling after the trap. It goes into the pipe right before the pipe goes into the wall. This just started happening within the last month or so. We've lived here 10 years.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 18, 2007, 12:05 PM
    If your washer's connected after the trap then you have a direct connection between the washer and the sewer allowing sewer gas to enter the dishwasher and contaminate your dishes. And you say this has been going on for 10 years? Your diswhwasher drain is entrapped and presents a health hazard to your family. Have it looked at and repaired.
    While you may have snaked the drain located in the wall you didn't get all the blockage out. Go back and snake it again and put out at least 6 foot of cable. Good luck, Tom

Apr 18, 2007, 07:46 PM
    Tell me if picture attachment is good or not...
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sink runs water from dishwasher [ 2 Answers ]

When my dishwasher drains, the water runs out the vent on my kitchen sink. Why?

Water backing up from washing machine into kutchen sink [ 8 Answers ]

Last night, while the washing machine was on its rinse cycle, water began backing up through both sides of the kitchen sink.. The water was gray/ black.

No water to kitchen sink or dishwasher [ 1 Answers ]

Replaced faucet "ball" 12 months ago. Worked fine. Recently, no water flowing from kitchen faucet nor is adequate/any water flowing to dishwasher. One afternoon hot water only flowed with normal pressure from faucet, but has since stopped. Very small trickle of water from from sink sprayer,...

Water Backing Up into Kitchen Sink [ 1 Answers ]

I hope I am in the right category. My house is 2 years old and has a septic tank system. This is a single level house over a full basement. This morning, for the 1st time, when running the washing machine we heard a loud gurgling noise in the kitchen sink. When we turned on the dish washer at...

No water from sink after installing dishwasher [ 1 Answers ]

I live in a house that was built in the early 1900s so the piping is really old and I didn't want to chance breaking anything so I went the cheap way out and I didn't sodder anything. I took the hose off from my hot water and added a T pipe that screws on to where the hose used to be. Left side...

View more questions Search