Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jen8540 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 19, 2015, 06:04 AM
    Pipes in Slab Foundation
    When houses with slab foundations are built are the water pipes always beneath the house, or can they be buried in the ground outside of the house? The house was built in 1975.

I'm considering buying a house with a slab foundation that needs to be repiped and the plumbers said this could be done through the attic. The sellers are saying that the pipes are not under the house, but buried outside. I'm not sure how they would know this.

Thanks for any assistance!

talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jun 19, 2015, 06:44 AM
    Ask the sellers how they know this, do they have a blueprint? Ask to see it. It doesn't matter if you are going to repipe through the ceiling anyway.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jun 19, 2015, 06:51 AM
    There's a third possibility in a 1975 house: pipes buried in the slab. Discovered this in my parents' 1970 house. Big pain!

How did I know? My parents had told me. But the macho contractor chose not to believe me and promptly cut through a copper water pipe.

With Pex nowadays, why not run them through the attic?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jun 19, 2015, 08:59 AM
    There are a lot of re-pipes, poly pipe, that are run outside and then up to the attic and back down. Other ones are run into the wall of a garage or other open location and run through inside wall, the walls patched later.
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Jun 19, 2015, 10:38 AM
    I agree with ma0641 now days most re-pipes are done as he says it is easy and cost saving, Thanks.

John
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Jun 19, 2015, 10:20 PM
    Pipes are most likely under the slab. That's how they used to do it back then. Problem is, once they start leaking, it is a mess to fix it. If the house was built in 1970 than you may face repiping soon after you move in. In my area of operation, all water pipes must be routed through the walls and ceilings. No more copper pipes under slab.

They may have few pipes buried around the perimeter of the house but there will always be some sections where they went under slab. Ask the present owner to excavate in couple of areas to prove to you the pipes are run on the outside and around the house. They should not be that deep.

Hope that helps

Milo

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Drain pipes for under slab foundation [ 3 Answers ]

I know this question was partially answered already,but I would like to ask again as this will be new construction.As I plan my main drain under slab at 1/4" per foot is only one vent stack allowed coming off the drain or could there be another?Also I would like to know if pvc 40 and pex tubing is...

Plumbing for slab foundation [ 6 Answers ]

I know little about plumbing, We are about pouring a slab foundation and all plumbing need to be done before pouring a slab. My question is does 4" pvc pipes must under dirt or can they be in the concrete beam itself? Thanks - tonya

Adding bathroom on slab foundation [ 1 Answers ]

I want to add a 1/2 bathroom in my home which is on a slab foundation. The new bathroom would share a common wall with the original bathroom. The toilet and sink would be back to back with the original bathroom toilet and sink. What is the best way to accomplish this with the least amount of tear...

Remodeling with Slab Foundation [ 1 Answers ]

I want to remodel my house with a slab foundation. To keep things simple I'm trying to re-use the existing plumbing & gas (in kitchen) connections. I also want to add a bathroom in what is currently the garage. It has laundry hook-ups for washer & dryer so I'm thinking I can use those, but I'm not...

View more questions Search