Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

May 21, 2015, 09:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Gtrshop View Post
    I have a rough Idea where the well is, but there is nothing visible above ground. The pipe runs through the wall in my daughters room, and there is a flower bed between her room and my sons room. Pretty good bet that it's there, the thing is its down 6 feet... I guess I'm doing sone digging soon.
    Just bear in mind that, if it is indeed a driven well, they would have had to have some pipe above ground to drive on. Never heard of one six feet down in the sense that the top of the wellpipe was six feet below ground. And if it is that far down, then the chances of air infiltration into the wellpipe would seem to be about zero.

What state are you located in?
    Gtrshop Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

May 24, 2015, 03:37 PM
    Well... sorry for the pun... I got my Tee and valve installed today. Put themn in before the CV. WHat happened next I didn't expect./ I had drawn off a lot of water so I could fill this pipe once without stopping. I was only able to fill it with about 1 1/2 litres of water before it came over the top of my fill tube. My fill tube is about a foot higher than the pipe, so this was really unexpected.

I had to go exploring.. in my daughters room where I thought the pipe was. I was right and found the end of the black pipe and a 90° elbow. With this new information, I went out and started digging. What I found I wasn't expecting... a well head tile. I cleared the dirt away from the lid and removed it. The sand point is down about two well tiles in the ground, and I can see the line going into my house.

This is about all I had time for today, but I did take a couple pictures...
    Name:  2015-05-24 17.30.01.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  756.4 KB

Name:  2015-05-24 17.30.08.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  691.5 KB

Name:  2015-05-24 17.30.15.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  401.1 KB
    Uber Member

May 24, 2015, 03:46 PM
    Next time, try posting a larger picture (a little joke).

I'd probably try a CV on the 6 inch or so length of galvanized coming off the elbow. Still, it would sure seem that air is getting in somewhere, and
    if it is in the well, then you'll still have problems with air in the pressure tank.

Wish I knew more about these sandpoint wells. Please do keep us up on your progress.

Check and be as sure as you can that the black pipe is well attached, though with two clamps it certainly should be.

One more thing. Remember that, if you are adding water somewhere between the CV and pressure tank, the water will go no further than than the
    CV which will not allow a backwards flow, so you would not have a large run of pipe to add water into.

May 24, 2015, 04:26 PM
    Sorry I would have thought the pics would have been scaled down.

Also the Tee is between the well and the CV, not the CV and the pump.

May 27, 2015, 04:07 AM
    HEre's a question for you... I see the logic in putting a CV as close to the well pipe as possible, will it freeze during the winter?
    Uber Member

May 27, 2015, 04:54 AM
    HEre's a question for you... I see the logic in putting a CV as close to the well pipe as possible, will it freeze during the winter?

If it freezes, then everything around it will freeze also. You don't want any pipes freezing, so you will need to be proactive to prevent that.

Still, finding the place where air is getting into the system is your number one job.

May 27, 2015, 07:11 AM
    The state I found the sandpoint in, the condition it was in, is as photographed. It does get down to -31C during the winter. I've had two winters here, and nothing has frozen. The concrete well top and access is roughly 18" below ground level and the actuall line running to the house is about 5 or 6 feet below that, but free staning in air. I will continue to look for an air leak, I'll probably replace pieces once I figure out how to remove the concrete lid... because I won't be able to fit through the opening. It seems that for the $10 or $20 in parts and realative ease of access, I'm just going to remove the question by replacing the parts I can see.
    Uber Member

May 27, 2015, 07:53 PM
    The state I found the sandpoint in, the condition it was in, is as photographed. It does get down to -31C during the winter. I've had two winters here, and nothing has frozen. The concrete well top and access is roughly 18" below ground level and the actuall line running to the house is about 5 or 6 feet below that, but free staning in air. I will continue to look for an air leak, I'll probably replace pieces once I figure out how to remove the concrete lid... because I won't be able to fit through the opening. It seems that for the $10 or $20 in parts and realative ease of access, I'm just going to remove the question by replacing the parts I can see.
    Wish I could give you more certain answers. It's always a bit difficult when
    you're not on site. BTW, are you saying that the wellpipe is going through
    concrete at the bottom of the pic?

May 28, 2015, 03:11 AM
    There is a concrete well cap, and two well tiles. The botto where the well pipe itself goes into the ground is dirt as far as I can make out. The pipe into the house goes through the side of one of the concrete well tiles...

Jun 15, 2015, 05:26 AM
    OK... here's this weekends update. I opened a hole in the drywall to access the black plastic pipe(BPP) coming in from outside (as close to the well as possible without going outside). In cutting through the BPP there was water. No surprise really. Installed the check vale that had originally been installed (in a location 10' away from pump inlet)

After moving this CV, I couldn't get water. I was able to prime the pump with water I wash holding for that purpose.

I came to the conclusion that the water I saw when I cut the BPP was from the well side, and the line from the well to in the house. So, I must have lost prime on the well (is that possible). An air lock?

In an attmept to reprime the entire line and well, I removed the CV and installed a Tee and valve, so I could add water to the line... to displace the air. After many attempts It seems that I have water flowing again, albeit not as much as before. The flow will stop, but the pump is drawing and you can see the plastic line actually deforming a bit as it collapses. After the pump had run for a period (and the pump runs for A LONG TIME) the air "seems" to have stopped... maybe.

So, at this point here's where I am this morning (essentially back to where I was 2 months ago)

- pump still loses prime overnight.
    - water flows, but air in lines
    - water flow is not "substantial"
    - No CV at all (now)
    Uber Member

Jun 17, 2015, 08:19 PM
    The sandpoint is placed on the end of the wellpipe and driven, several feet at a time, into the ground. The point itself is a foot or two long and perforated to allow water to enter. There is a screen on the inside to prevent sand/dirt from entering. The screen can become clogged and need cleaning. That might be your issue.

I've never driven a sandpoint and have no first hand knowledge with them, but it is basically a jetpump arrangement, the essential element being how the wellpipe is placed. From what I have read, a CV might not even be needed, since the point is always, hopefully, below the water level.

This video might help you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhK5xK1PoSk

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No water in my pressure tank... Ihave a swallow well pumpchanged the pressure switch [ 3 Answers ]

No water in pressure tank. I have a swallow well pump 1/2hp changed pressure switch and turned pump on and won't get pressure past 30psi and pressure tank is empty. When I shut pump off it stays @ 30psi but, if you flush toilet or run water the water stops running. The pressure tank is light. If I...

How far can you place a water pressure tank from the pressure switch? [ 1 Answers ]

My water started surging in the house so I replaced the pressure tank. In doing so I took it from right beside the pressure switch and placed it 200 feet away. When the problem continued with the water surging I replaced the pressure switch. The problem continues. I have checked the pump,...

New shallow well pump new huge pressure tank but water pressure is terrible [ 11 Answers ]

When I had a smaller pump (shallow well) and small tank my water pressure was great. When I had to replace everything the person installing the system put a bigger pump and a huge pressure tank. It is the size of a 50 gal water heater. I replaced everything. Ever since then my water pressure is...

Pressure tank and well pump switch issues, water stoppage is getting annoying [ 9 Answers ]

The well is reportedly 350 feet deep, Franklin pump control rated for 1hp Square D pressure switch Champion bladder tank about the size of a 30 gallon water heater One inch cast iron Inlet from the pump. I suffered from low water pressure for a couple of years, then started messing with this...

View more questions Search