Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shishosha Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 28, 2015, 11:57 AM
    2 Handled-Faucet Shower. One faucet doesn't work.
    I have a guest shower with a two handle faucet. The cold faucet works fine. When I turn on the hot water by itself, nothing happens. No water, nothing. Not even cold water. This is the only fixture in the house that is having any issues. I replaced the cartridge less than a year ago. Could that have something to do with it? Thanks!
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jan 28, 2015, 12:16 PM
    Turn cold water off at stop valve under the sink. Remove handle and cold water cartridge. Hold glass over cold water stem opening and turn on water briefly to flush out valve. Inspect cartridge and reinstall. If that doesn't work replace cartridge.
    shishosha Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 28, 2015, 01:07 PM
    "Turn cold water off at stop valve under the sink. Remove handle and cold water cartridge. Hold glass over cold water stem opening and turn on water briefly to flush out valve. Inspect cartridge and reinstall. If that doesn't work replace cartridge."

This is a shower, not a sink. There is no stop valve, but I could still inspect the cartridge I suppose. My guess is that maybe the handle screw isn't sunk deeply enough to allow the cartridge to open the valve. Is that something that can happen? Thanks for your reply.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jan 28, 2015, 02:16 PM
    Sorry misread your post. Also misread and thought it was cold that was not working.
    Assume that two handle means one handle for hot and one handle for cold.

Turn of hot water. You can do that at water heater or you can turn off all the water to house. Remove hot water stem. Turn on hot water briefly to flush out hot side of valve.

My guess is that maybe the handle screw isn't sunk deeply enough to allow the cartridge to open the valve.
    Doesn't sound very logical to me.

You probably have some debris that is blocking the water flow on the hot side of the valve.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Jan 28, 2015, 08:38 PM
    If it is Temperature Balanced shower faucet - and hot water is not coming out - that's because the Temperature Balancing mechanism may be preventing hot water from leaving faucet. It is possible that that same mechanism may be stuck in one position disallowing it from releasing hot water. Also, some faucets have removable filter screen on h/c inlets and stop valves ( located on the body of the faucet itself ). Make sure that screen is clean and stop valve is open, not stuck in close position...

Back to you

Milo

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Faucet doesn't work [ 2 Answers ]

My faucet stopped working but my dishwasher still works-do you think it's a water pipe problem or do I need a new faucet?

Cold Water Only on One Handled Tub/Shower Faucet [ 1 Answers ]

I have cold water only in my tub/shower. The faucet is a moen 82008SRN single handle. The faucet is in a guest room that has not been used in 3-4 years. The sink that runs off the same water line runs hot. The sink is further down the water line. Do I have a problem with temperature limit...

Leaking 2-handled tub faucet [ 13 Answers ]

We have a 2-handled tub faucet (Kohler) that is leaking. The plumber I called for an estimate wants to change out everything -the faucet, the handles, the shower, and do it by cutting a hole in the wall behind the tub. He says the 1976 plumbing should be replaced. I just want the tub to stop...

Faucet Doesn't Work After Using Hand Sprayer [ 3 Answers ]

I'll apoligize now as I'm probably not using the right words for this. My kitchen sink has a faucet with a single handle. I also have a pull-out hand sprayer next to the faucet, which is connected to the faucet by a hose underneath the sink. Typically, after I use the hand sprayer, the faucet...

View more questions Search