Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DumbDave Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 19, 2014, 07:58 AM
    Water heater relief valve release hot water, but water not hot in the house
    We can't get hot water to any faucet, so I checked water heater and opened relief valve briefly. Releif valve released hot water? Why would hot water not get to house?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Aug 19, 2014, 08:08 AM
    Blocked heat trap nipple would be my first guess, the older ones with a ball get stuck sometimes (assuming you have them). Cold water throughout the house?

Aug 19, 2014, 08:10 AM
    Will draining the tank help? Or is it better to get plumber to change the nipple?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Aug 19, 2014, 09:19 AM
    No, draining the water heater will not help if you have a stuck heat trap nipple.
    If you have a stuck nipple it will be on the hot water out side if you get the water out the T&P valve.

Something you could try until you can replace the nipple or call the plumber. Might work might not.

Assuming you have clothes washer. Turn off valves to washer. Disconnect one hose at the stop valve, disconnect the other at the washer. Take the hose you disconnected at the washer and connect it to the other stop valve. Open both stop valves. Open the T&P valve on the water heater. Water from the cold side of the washer stop valve will flow to the hot side and back to the water heater through the hot water lines and out the T&P valve. That should free the stuck heat trap nipple.

If this works it will only be temporary.

Aug 19, 2014, 09:55 AM
    Thanks for the advice, unfortunately no joy. Plumber will be here in the morning. Appreciate assistance!
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Aug 19, 2014, 10:03 AM
    Sorry, should have also said close the stop valve on the water heater.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Aug 19, 2014, 04:12 PM
    Let us know what the plumber finds.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I hear water running after plumber replaced relief valve in my hot water heat system [ 0 Answers ]

We never heard this noise before now. How do I fix this? It is driving me BONKERS. I purged the system at all radiators and get nothing but water out. I did this with and without the pump running.

30 Gallon Hot Water Heater Relief Valve ? [ 13 Answers ]

I just had the relief (release?) valve replaced on my Hot Water Heater because it was constantly leaking and dripping. The new one seems to work great because I don't see it dripping anymore. However, I kept a bucket under it to be cautious, and every day there is a little over a cup of clean water...

Gas Hot Water Heater Pressure Relief Valve Leaking [ 6 Answers ]

Should the pressure relief valve on my natural gas hot water heater leak out of the pressure relief valve every time the burner comes on to heat the water? It has been doing this for several months and my builder said his plumber told him it is normal.:confused: Also the temperature just...

Hot Water Heater pressure relief valve [ 2 Answers ]

On my water heater, I have the Pressure Relief Valve on top. There is also a (plugged) PRV outlet on the side of the heater. Can I move my valve to the side outlet? Is there a reason that it may have been installed at the top as opposed to the side? Thanks

How to test gas hot water heater pressure release valve? [ 7 Answers ]

The pressure release valve on the State Select Gas Hot water heater (40 or 50 gallon) is allowing water from the hot water tank to drip through the copper overflow pipe drain on the side of the house. There is no leak or drip around the valve or tank itself. The safety notice on the hot water...

View more questions Search