Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    FergusD Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 17, 2005, 01:36 PM
    Mixer tap and unequal pressure problem
    Hello,
    I have removed a washbasin with separate hot and cold water taps from an ensuite bathroom in my mother-in-law's bungalow and fitted a new basin with a mixer tap. When I connected everything up and tried the tap I got hot water but no cold. However, the cold water supply pipe got warm suggesting hot water was passing through the mixer and down the cold supply. It turns out the hot water is not supplied from a tank (well I knew that) but is an "on demand system", presumably pumped. However, the cold supply to this basin is from a cold water tank, situated, I think, just above the ensuite bathroom. I assume therefore that the hot water pressure is much higher than the cold (it certainly looks like it). Do I have to fit a pressure reducing valve to the hot supply (rather than just partly closing the isolating valve)? Do I have to fit non-return valves anywhere? Alas, the cold supply from the tank to the WC cistern is now very slow. Have I got an air lock in there now and how can I get rid of it? Thanks for any advice. Fergus
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 17, 2005, 02:49 PM
    Mixer tap and unequal pressure problem
    Quote Originally Posted by FergusD
    Hello,
    I have removed a washbasin with separate hot and cold water taps from an ensuite bathroom in my mother-in-law's bungalow and fitted a new basin with a mixer tap. When I connected everything up and tried the tap I got hot water but no cold. However, the cold water supply pipe got warm suggesting hot water was passing through the mixer and down the cold supply. It turns out the hot water is not supplied from a tank (well I knew that) but is an "on demand system", presumably pumped. However, the cold supply to this basin is from a cold water tank, situated, I think, just above the ensuite bathroom. I assume therefore that the hot water pressure is much higher than the cold (it certainly looks like it). Do I have to fit a pressure reducing valve to the hot supply (rather than just partly closing the isolating valve)? Do I have to fit non-return valves anywhere? Alas, the cold supply from the tank to the WC cistern is now very slow. Have I got an air lock in there now and how can I get rid of it? Thanks for any advice. Fergus

Hi Fergus,
    Since you just got through installing the valve you must know The brand name and model #. Would you care to share them with me? Since a tankless is a water heater and not a pump the hot and cold pressure should be the same. My guess, at this point, would be that you disturbed some crud in the pipes that has lodged in the cartridge cold water inlet ports.
    Shut off the water and take the valve apart. Check the cartridge inlet ports for trash or blockage. Now place a pan over the open valve to prevent splash and turn on the water and flush out the supply lines. There should be a strong stream. Reassemble and try again. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pressure/bladder tank losing pressure? [ 11 Answers ]

Well, I have asked some questions about my plumbing before. So I am calling on you guys once again. I have a 52 gallon pressure tank/bladder tank made by wellsaver. I turn the water on and have good pressure for a few minutes then it basically goes dead with no pressure. I recently posted questions...

Another shower low pressure problem [ 3 Answers ]

I have read some of the other low pressure shower issues posted here but none seem quite the same. I don't have a one valve or three valve system. Mine is a two valve shower system... hot and cold. It is a shower, not a tub/shower. My problem is that the hot water pressure is really bad. I...

Gas valve pressure problem [ 1 Answers ]

I had an old Coleman Evcon furnace, the problem is when the flame came out doesn't come strong because the fleame stay right at the nozzle of valve pipe,

Pressure Problem [ 3 Answers ]

We recently moved into a 7 year old house that is on a well. This week we installed a new diswasher and in the process we shut off the hot water by turning the shower valve coming directly out of the hotwater heater. When we turned the valve back on a lot of black/brown gunk flowed out of the...

Low water pressure in an area known for high pressure [ 3 Answers ]

Greetings, My wife and I are in the process of updating 1957 side by side split level. The previous owner (OK, my Mom as I bought the house I grew up in from her) said that when they moved in they had to install a pressure reducer into the line. I have searched high and low but, I can't see...

View more questions Search