Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    suziq11 Posts: 44, Reputation: 1

Jul 16, 2013, 03:50 PM
    How to find the access to plumbing for the bathtub in my mobilehome
    I need to find a way to work on / repair my hot water handle, beyond what can be done to the handle itself. The faucet unit for the tub comes up through the top of the tub , and I replaced both handles a few months ago. A few weeks ago, (just after having the whole park do a water shut-off) I wanted to take a bath, but when I turned the hot nozzle, nothing came out, it just turns and turns. My son is helping me with the problem, but he thinks that the area he needs to work on is under the tub wall... I know and he knows he's not a plumber, so any suggestions will be greatly appreciated... I asked a similar question earlier, which I think might have been confusing.
    Thank you Mark, for your suggestion, but I think I gave misinformation, which I hope you know I appreciated... Anyone out there with some help? Thanks suziq
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jul 16, 2013, 04:11 PM
    What is on the back side of the wall where the tub is? A closet? There really should be an access panel there for that very reason. But it (the access panel) will be vertical... not horizontal.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jul 16, 2013, 05:22 PM
    The faucet unit for the tub comes up through the top of the tub
    All repairs are done from the top side. There will be nothing to repair from beneath the tub deck surface unless you are removing the faucet completely.

I replaced both handles a few months ago.

Does that mean you simply replace the handles with new ones or does it mean you did something to the stems (the thing the handles fit onto)?

it just turns and turns
    That sounds like the handle is turning but not turning the stem which opens the faucet.

Remove the handle and turn the stem (thing handle fits on) with a pair of pliers.

Jul 17, 2013, 01:30 PM
    [quote=smoothy;3508412]What is on the back side of the wall where the tub is? A closet?

"
    [/ suziq11] My bath tub Faucet works have the shower wall with its plumbing just behind it

[.There really should be an access panel there for that very reason. But it (the access panel) will be vertical... not horizontal.
    [QUOTE][/ suziq11] Thank you! Actually, I have a guess that it is probably hidden in a little built -in that has no purpose other than to hide the access wall, which I never thought was doing anything other than to serve as an aesthetic to connect the bathtub (which is wider) to the shower (just behind the tub) and is more narrow. My concern now,is getting it open, without ruining it, it's built like a cabinet, with tile on top. And has a tall mirror connected to the tile and cabinet.

[QUOTE][/suziq11] I am so grateful that you guys are out there. It's so hard for me to know and understand the workings and parts of something, I've never seen first hand.

Jul 17, 2013, 01:51 PM
    [QUOTE=hkstroud;3508487]All repairs are done from the top side. There will be nothing to repair from beneath the tub deck surface unless you are removing the faucet completely.

[QUOTE][/suziq11] I'm not quite sure why, without further explanation from my son... but when he was last here, he did try to see what the damage was, I saw that he had the handles off... and what I saw (if my recall is correct)were
    Very skinny pipes popping up. After he worked on them for a while, he said he was unable to get to the area he needed. My feeling (after all he did ) was that he was unable to get to the stem to turn it.

Does that mean you simply replace the handles with new ones or does it mean you did something to the stems (the thing the handles fit onto)?

[QUOTE][/suziq11] yes, I simply bought handles, because mine got beat up , when someone else had tried to work
    On them, (I'm guessing)

That sounds like the handle is turning but not turning the stem which opens the faucet. '
    [/suziq11]That's right.

Remove the handle and turn the stem (thing handle fits on) with a pair of pliers.
    [QUOTE][/suziq11] I know that's what my son attempted... OK, so once I open and remove the handle, I should see the stem? Then what is supposed to be the next step? Find a way to take the stem unit out? If so, how?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jul 17, 2013, 02:39 PM
    Exactly what is the problem?

So far you have only said that the handle is not turning the stem. Have you removed the handle and tried turning the stem with a pliers. If the only problem is that the handle will not turn the stem you will have to replace the handle.

If you cannot turn the stem with pliers, or the stem will not turn the water on you will have to replace the stem.

But first, exactly what is the problem?

Jul 17, 2013, 03:14 PM
    Harold, I apologise for my problem working this site. I don't know how if I have been resonding to you correctly. The handles are new. They won't turn the stem. My son wasn't able to turn the stem either. That's probably why he wants to get to the plumbing inside. If indeed it is the stem, can it be repaired? Or do you have an idea of the cost to replace one?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to find the water supply shut off for the bathtub in my mobilehome [ 1 Answers ]

I have a problem with one of my bathtubs faucets. It seems stripped, since it won't turn on at all. I need to know the, probably hidden) location of the plumbing to those faucets.This is a mobilehome, and the faucet/ spout location come up from the top corner of the tub, not from a wall (whith the...

Plumbing bathtub [ 5 Answers ]

I am plumbing my bathtub with a single handle faucet and need to know if I have to put hammer arrestor with this installation?

Building Code for Bathtub Access Panel? [ 5 Answers ]

Does there have to be an access panel "cover" -- the actual panel -- for the bathtub, or can that area -- pipes and all, the underneath of the bathtub, etc. -- all be left open? Is there typically a building code about that? Thank you.

Gunky-Nasty Backup in Mobilehome Bathtub [ 3 Answers ]

Before we moved into this rental, the *handyman* employed by the landlord must have poured $200.00 worth of drain openers down the clogged drains in this house (as evidenced by the number of bottles he left here). It is an older 2 bedroom, 1 bath mobilehome hooked to both city water and sewer,...

Bathtub Leak, No Access Panel [ 2 Answers ]

After many false starts (misdiagnoses from plumbers supplied by our home warranty company), I've pinpointed that our upstairs bathtub leaks when draining from a bath. It will not leak with a shower or if you only put a small amount of water in the tub. I've read the other posts in the forums...

View more questions Search