Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dkaminski Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 25, 2013, 02:00 PM
    Bath tub clogged
    My tub is clogged, we have use several drain openers and none have worked. How can I open a cast iron clean out trap the nut will not come loose. What is the best way to remove a barrel trap??
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Apr 25, 2013, 02:16 PM
    Hi Dkaminiski

This isn't something that is usually easy for a homeowner to mess with. Here, these traps usually break apart and now you have a major issue on your hands... emergency fashion! You could try cutting a groove into the cap/plug using a chisel and hammer, and then hammer the cap/plug around to loosen it... but only as a last resort!

If the trap is accessible then your best bet with these older "barrel type" traps is to cut it out and replace it with a new DRUM TRAP (barrel-shaped). Snake the drain with the trap removed and then rejoin all.

If that fails to float your boat then another "quick fix" would be to take a wetted rag and plug the overflow tube (remove faceplate and stick rag in tight) and then add about 2" of water to the tub and use a PLUNGER to plunge away at the tub drain. Here, by plugging the overflow tube you actually force the air from the plunger down the drain (and not up the tube).

Try it and let me know how you make out, OK?

Mark

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I have a clogged bath tub and the coil on the power snake isn't moving [ 3 Answers ]

I have a clogged bath tub so I purchased a power snake (auger) and attached it to a drill. I pulled out a couple feet of coil & put the coil end of the snake in the drain and turned the drill on. The coil isn't turning. The housing part of the snake is but not the coil part that is in the drain....

Black water pipe underneath bath tub, is that connected to bath? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I'm taking apart my bath tub I guess its fiberglass I'm cutting it in pieces because I don't know any other to do it, but I saw that it has a black drainage pipe right in the middle of the tub underneath. Is that connected some how and can I cut around it or do I have to disconnect it from the...

Tub drain clogged [ 4 Answers ]

Muddy water is flowing into my tub - I plunged the tub and the muddy water drained out but as soon as I start running the water, tub clogs up with water (not mud) Do you know what could be causing this? Thanks. Cassie

After bath, drain clogged and leak into lower level [ 5 Answers ]

Hi there, I just bought my first house and of course the inevitable problems are arising. We have a 1947 duplex home that has been totally redone around 2002. I took a bath for the first time the other night and had two surprises when I finished. The tub drained super super slow and then I went...

View more questions Search