Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Richelle23 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 17, 2012, 03:47 PM
    Wax ring on toilet
    What should I expect to pay for a plumer to come out and replace my wax ring on one toilet?
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Dec 17, 2012, 03:51 PM
    Here is SouthWest VA. about $80 for the trip out, and about $40 for labor, plus about $10 for the wax ring, bolts, washers, and nuts. That's a total of $130. It will vary, of course, for your location and state. You could call a plummer near you and ask the cost, without making any commitment. I do wish you the best.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 17, 2012, 04:02 PM
    In addition it will make a difference if the shop's union or non-union. Good luck, Tom
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Dec 17, 2012, 04:18 PM
    Yep - I'd guess around $100, which will be almost all for labor. The part is about $10.

It's not all that hard to do yourself if you're strong enough to lift the toilet. The keys are that , for a good seal, you have to have the toilet in perfect position when you put it down on the ring.

I got a book from Home Depot about how to do simple DIY home repairs when my son dropped a heavy glass paperweight in the toilet when he was little, and cracked the bowl. I followed the step-by-stepdirections in the book, removed the old one and installed the new one by myself and it was no big deal - saved myself a good $100 I figure. 10 years and still working fine.

Good luck to you.
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Dec 17, 2012, 05:38 PM
    Lots of things that can vary a simple wax ring change out charge. Distance to the job from the plumbing shop or previous job site (travel time), ease of change out (condition of water shut off valve, toilet supply, and closet flange (if closet flange is broken, it can add quite a bit to the overall job), and most importantly the skill set of the plumber doing the job. It really is near impossible to estimate these small jobs, as they can sometimes turn into a bit larger job. If the shut off, supply and closet flange are all in good shape, a good plumber should be able to do the swap out in roughly ten to fifteen minutes including cleanup. However, I have seen plumbers take up to 30 minutes for a simple wax change out. Like I said, most of it comes down to skill set of plumber.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet wax ring [ 1 Answers ]

Does the wax ring dissolve over a period? It wasn't there when I lifted the toilet off the floor... please tell me.where it went... thank u

Toilet leaks after wax ring replacement [ 2 Answers ]

I recently replaced wax ring on toilet. Followed directions on box. It still leaks. Any tricks to assure a good seal first time?

Toilet wax ring [ 4 Answers ]

Hey guys, I am rwady to install the toilet. My question is as follows... I went to Home depot and the guy gave me a wax ring with an ABS collar on it. He says that is what I need since my flange is ABS. Is it okay to use this style or should I be using just the rgular standard wax ring....

Standard or oversize toilet wax ring [ 1 Answers ]

How do I determine whether I need a standard toilet wax ring versus the thicker wax ring? Is there a gap distance that would suggest one over the other. I installed tile and now have a 1/2 inch gap between the flange surface and the floor (tile) surface.

View more questions Search