Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    steelernut 1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 8, 2005, 06:03 PM
    Slow shower drain
    My shower drain is draining very slow. I cleaned out the trap, I adjusted the drain plug assembly, I even took out the cleanouts in the main drain and ran a snake through it. But the drain is still slow. Could it be the vent, because it's the only thing I haven't checked yet. If it is the vent how do I remedy that?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 9, 2005, 06:47 AM
    Slow shower drain
    Most shower clogs are caused by a build up of hair and grease. This will occur in the lateral drain line between the trap and the vent. Did you remove the strainer and snake from the drain? If not, then there's your problem. Send the snake,(with a auger tip), down the drain. You will hit the "J" bend of the trap about 6 or 8 inches down. Crank and work the snake around the bend. You now have a straight shot down the pipe. Put out 10 or 15 feet of snake and pull it back. Lot's of hair and crud on the auger tip?
    To complete your job pour 2 large pans of boiling water down the drain. This will loosen up any crud remaining anhd flush it out into your mains. Put the strainer back and proceed to rub-a-dub in style. Cheers, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Slow drain? [ 8 Answers ]

Hello my name is kristin and my bathtub is draining extremely slow. I have tried the lliquid products and they are not working I have also tried using a plunger and that does apsolutely nothing. I have a feeling that it could be plugged because it does not have a hair catch. Any suggestions?

Slow Bathroom Sink Drain - but Tub and Toilet Drain Fine [ 4 Answers ]

I am hoping that someone can offer a suggestion to solve my problem. We recently purchased a 60 year old home. The sink in one of our bathrooms drains completely fine until the water has run for about 5 minutes and then all of a sudden it starts to back up and then drains very slowly. I have...

Slow Tub/shower drain [ 3 Answers ]

My first attempt so please bear with me. By the time I finish a shower I'm in ankle deep water. Tub drains, but slowly. Can't get the drain out so removed the plate below the faucet and ran the snake through there. Got around all the bends and went the length of the snake -- about 20 ft. ...

2nd story tub/shower drain slow [ 1 Answers ]

House is 35 years old and the shower tub (2nd floor) combination drains very slow.I have took off the drain screen and noticed that about 2 -3 inches below screen the drain has something that turns the water to drain. I cannot not snake from here because snake would not get past this piece. Any...

Extremely Slow Shower Drain [ 5 Answers ]

The drain in my shower is extremely slow. I have tried using common liquid clog removers, but they have not helped one bit. I have also tried to use an Auger that I have, but I can get no further than a couple of inches into the drain. When I look down the drain there is actually water that is...

View more questions Search