Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Hooper Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Jan 5, 2005, 11:39 AM
    Toilet drain to Basement Sump pump
    I want to add a bathroom in my basement. I was wondering if I could run my toilet drain into the sump pump hole. ( I have my own septic symstem and the drain leaving the house is 4ft. Above the basement floor). Also, would this need to be vented? The toilet would be about 6 to 8 ft. from the sump pump. Thanks!
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 5, 2005, 08:02 PM
    Well Mr. Hooper, I got bad news for you! Ya can't discharge sewerage into a open cesspool and that is what you wish to make of your sump pump. And especially inside of place where people live. That's a big NO-NO from code enforcement to say nothing of the health department. It would be like living over a outhouse.
    However this is possible, but it will cost. Your floor jackhammered up an a holding tank installed. Then a special "grinder pump" to grind up the solids and pump the discharge up to a fitting installed in your sewer line. Your bathroom group will have to be vented through the top of the tee that stubs out for your lavatory. All this plus the rough in for your fixtures. We're talking major surgery here. If you wish to go into this further I can give you some sites to check out but unless you have plumbing skills you will need outside help. Sorry I couldn't be more up beat. Regards, Tom
    Hooper Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Jan 6, 2005, 09:28 AM
    Okay, I understand that, but can't I use the sump pump hole that's already there? ( it's about 18" in diameter and about 2 1/2 ft. deep) I Know I would have to replace the pump and put a lid on the hole. Or am I better off starting from scratch?
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 6, 2005, 10:51 AM
    You're better off purchasing the holding tank. Keep the sump as it is as you might need it the next heavy rain. A holding tank has more volume, a inlet and a outlet plus a vent. (You do realize you're going to have to run a outside vent don't you?) The sump has none of these. It simply will not work. Are you prepared to tear up the cement floor to install the tank and rough in the plumbing plus running a vent to the outside? If so and you have the necessary skills and the tools to do this, I'll hang in there with you until the job's done. Cheers, Tom
    tommytman Posts: 153, Reputation: 2

Jan 6, 2005, 10:43 PM
    http://www.saniflo.com/

Will the above set up work for you??
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 7, 2005, 06:44 AM
    Hey! It works for me. Kudos on finding the site.
    wknow Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 27, 2005, 05:49 PM
    A little info required
    I am in the process of doing a basement type of install of a bathroom and would like links to products and information that will help me. I have all the skills I just haven't dealt with this type of situation in the past. The Bathroom will be six feet lower than the main line but have no problem accessing a vent line. Looking for information and specs and equipment required, i.e. grinder, pump and storage tank.

Thanks in advance!
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 28, 2005, 07:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by wknow
    I am in the process of doing a basement type of install of a bathroom and would like links to products and information that will help me. I have all the skills I just haven't dealt with this type of situation in the past. The Bathroom will be six feet lower than the main line but have no problem accessing a vent line. Looking for information and specs and equipment required, i.e., grinder, pump and storage tank.

Thanks in advance!
    Try this for openers, http://www.saniflo.com/installation.html
    And this one also, http://www.sewagepumpsales.com/
    More questions? Ask away! Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sump pump [ 10 Answers ]

I recently bought a new house and was wondering if the sump pump draining into the main drain instead of on its own drain to outside the house is a problem? I have never had a sump pump before and was curious because we get a sewage smell inside our bathroom every once in awhile on the first floor...

Sump pump volume calculation [ 3 Answers ]

I'm currently trying to solve a sump pump capacity problem. I never have water in basket except in very bad 5+ inches of rain in short periods 1/2 day or less. Then it comes so fast It is almost impossible to keep up with. I'm planning on installing a new Zoeller pump capable of 93 gpm with 10...

Sump Pump popping [ 1 Answers ]

We just bought a new house and the sump pump and or lines make strong popping bang every time we use the washer and it's draining or we are using several drains, the contractor says its normal I don't think so. Any ideas? It has been doing it seen we moved in ( a month)

Washer drain to sump pump [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, My washing machine drain pipe drains into my sump pump and sets the pump off constantly, can I connect this drain into a different line and if so what do I need to do? Any suggestions would be great, thanks

Overactive sump pump [ 3 Answers ]

I bought a new house last Oct. I found I had an over active sump pump. The pump works every few hours in dry season and maybe every min. or so in heavy rain season. The water in the pit is crystal clear, no odor. Can someone tell me the reason? How can I fix this ? Should I just raise the pump? ...

View more questions Search