Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tony6627 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 6, 2007, 02:49 AM
    Anti Syphon trap?
    I'm looking to have a new bathroom fitted and had a plumber round to give me a quote.
    I want to fit a shower cubicle next to the bath and as the waste pipes are going into one the plumber told me he can't do this as every time I emptied the sink it would open the seal. Is this correct and is there any way round it.

I've been told about an Anti syphon trap which would stop the smells and water coming back up. Is this correct? If so, I presume its no harder to fit that a normal fitting.

Please help
    Phloyd Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 6, 2007, 06:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tony6627
    I'm looking to have a new bathroom fitted and had a plumber round to give me a quote.
    I want to fit a shower cubicle next to the bath and as the waste pipes are going into one the plumber told me he can't do this as every time I emptied the sink it would open the seal. Is this correct and is there any way round it.

I've been told about an Anti syphon trap which would stop the smells and water coming back up. Is this correct? If so, I presume its no harder to fit that a normal fitting.

Please help
    I had a bathroom sink that I moved a few years ago to a new location. I could not install a proper vent at the new location. I purchased and installed an anti-syphon vent (this was in Canada and we did not have a trap / anti-syphon vent combo) on the sink drain. It worked quite well. Of course a proper vent connected to your system would be the best method, but there are times when this cannot be installed for a reasonable cost, hence the anti-syphon vent was invented (pun intended). A quick search on the net showed me that you can purchase a "P" trap / vent combo. The vent I installed had threads on one end. This required an application of teflon tape to "seal" the threads and prevent water or gases from leaking into the room. After you install the vent, monitor the room for sewer gas smell. Your nose will tell you if your vent is leaking gases. A small pool of water under the vent will show that water is leaking as well.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Anti virus [ 2 Answers ]

Lately when turnning the computer on EZtrust anti virus icon at the bottom throws up a flag saying the anti virus may not be up to date. I can't figure out how to update it. Should I just get another program or will that cause a conflct by having two anti virus programs. I have a powerSpec computer...

What's the best Anti Spyware and the best Anti Virus? [ 4 Answers ]

Just curious as to what works best for you? Take care, Happy Holidays to you and yours

P-trap GAP - p-trap too low to meet sink drain extension [ 13 Answers ]

I just took an old crane drexel sink off the wall and replaced it for the time being ( I want to fix the older sink) with a cheap vanity/sink set. All that was easy enough, but now to my chagrin I can't finish the job. The p trap is too low, the extension pipe from the sink doesn't go all...

Anti-syphon hose bib [ 2 Answers ]

We had a new hose bib put in for our outside hose. It worked fine for a few weeks, but now no water comes out at all. Is there some trick to getting the water started with the anti-syphon hose bibs? Thanks!

Toilet syphon [ 2 Answers ]

Can anybody help me to locate an online plumbers that supplies the old fashioned spring loaded plunger type of toilet flushing syphon please.:)

View more questions Search