Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dstrimbu Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 1, 2005, 10:37 PM
    Installing new shower with no-caulk drain...
    Hi Experts:

I'm new to the forum, and I'm not a plumber - but I'm doing my second DIY bathroom remodel and I have just a few questions that I'm hoping someone can help me with...

I'm replacing a leaky 36x36 shower pan in our master bath. I selected a larger Swanstone solid surface pan, 36x42 - so, of course, I had to move the drain line. That job went extremely well, but slow - as I was working through a small access hole cut into the floor decking. I'm pretty proud of this part - the drain pipe is perfectly centered in the center of the drain pan when it's in the installed position. I simply replicated the existing trap design, but I used all new PVC from the main trunk forward.

Now, I'm ready to install the Oatey brass no-caulk drain to the pan and the drain pipe. The Oatey instructions are dismal, so I'm wondering:

1.) Should I use a bead of silicone caulk between the top flange of the drain and the top surface of the shower pan? The "instructions" call for it, so I bought some GE Silicone II Bath and Kitchen caulk; wondering what the experts think...

2.) What kind of wrench do you use on the drain flange bottom nut? While the PVC bodied no-caulks have a large plastic hex, the brass nut simply has four lugs. I think a big pipe wrench will work - and also: how tight is tight enough? I won't have access after the pan & wall tile re-install without cutting through the kitchen ceiling below; I'd like to get this correct the first time.

3.) Finally, I'm thinking that I will simply use a large square-shank screwdriver and a small crescent wrench with the flat "wrench" piece to tighten the no-caulk gland to the pipe. Again, how tight? Also, does it make sense to lubricate the rubber gland before tightening? What lube would you use?

I know, I'm full of questions... :)

Thanks in advance for your answers. I'm a mechanical engineer by training, but I'm just a bit out of my league on this job.

Happy New Year!

-don
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 2, 2005, 09:30 AM
    Installing new shower with no-caulk drain...
    Hi Don,

(1) We use plumbers putty between the lip of the drain and the base of the shower pan but if the instructions call for silicon jel that's what I'd use. A small ring around the lip and clean the excess off immediately after tightening.

(2) A 14" pipe wrench should give you purchase, but use anything that works. Tighten it until the caulk squeezes out and then put some muscle behind it and snug it tight.

(3) The neoprene gasket will go next to the bottom of the pan and fiber washer under it to prevent binding when you tighten the nut. The neoprene gasket does not have to be lubed.

Congratulations on taking on a major plumbing project. Tom
    dstrimbu Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 10, 2005, 08:22 AM
    A belated thank you...
    Speedball:

My humblest apologies for not responding sooner - I headed to Des Moines on the 4th for work and encountered 16" of snow... what fun!

I really appreciate your rapid response; you've helped a lot... thanks so much for your assistance. I'll let you know how it goes when I get back home.

Temporarily in Austin, TX,

-don strimbu
    richtergroup Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 23, 2011, 01:11 PM
    There is a tool from www.bulldogdraintool.com that works great with no caulk shower drains.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Installing new shower in basement, no drain [ 4 Answers ]

We are going to put a corner shower stall in our basement bathroom which currently only has a sink and a toilet. There is no drain where we want to put the shower. Do we have to break up the concrete and put a drain in the floor and then run pipes over to the toilet or sink drain, or is there any...

Installing drain for shower in basement [ 1 Answers ]

My questions has three parts. The purpose of this is that I want to install a shower in the basement. Background: I recently bought a 90 year old home. The basement has recently been redone (new concrete floor and completely dry--thank god). It already has a toilet installed, resting directly on...

Need help installing a shower drain [ 5 Answers ]

I have installed an acrylic/fiberglass shower base on the second Floor (no underneath access) where there was a previous and very cheap shower base. The new base is now cemented and firmly in place. The 2" PVC drain extends into the drain- - it is a "caulkless" BK with a compression ring and...

Installing new shower pan drain [ 2 Answers ]

I purchased a shower pan drain for my new shower pan. When installing it there is a rubber washer and looks to be a paper washer I set the crome male threaded end through the pan hole then went under home and threaded it onto the under side of the shower pan bottom. Rubber seal first then the...

? About installing new shower drain [ 18 Answers ]

I've checked the messages here and have ordered a Wingtite shower drain replacement kit for a leaking shower drain. I reviewed the instructions at their site for removing the old shower drain, and I guess I have the type of drain that was glued in. When I read on their site how to remove it, I'm...

View more questions Search