Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tmday Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Dec 31, 2004, 07:24 PM
    Loss of Water Pressure
    Our house is on a slab. We have copper pipes. Just recently and rather abruptly we began to lose water pressure. When we turn on the shower the water pours out for about 10 seconds and then drops off to a near trickle. We have not changed or added any fixtures. The showers are both single handle types. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Please let me know if I am missing any pertinent info.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 31, 2004, 07:35 PM
    If it is just the showers, some crud from the pipes may be blocking the heads. Try removing them and cleaning them. If that doesn't help, post back giving details such as well, city water, filters, softener, etc.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 1, 2005, 07:05 AM
    Loss of Water Pressure
    Are you on a pump or city water? This loss, is it the entire house or just the two showers? If on city water, has there been any work done on the street main? If on a pump could it be a drop in the water table? Get back to us with the information we need and we'll answer ASAP. Cheers, Tom

Jan 1, 2005, 02:08 PM
    We are on city water. No one else on our street is having the same issues. We do have a water softener but no filters. The pressure loss seems to effect the whole house although most noticeably the shower/bath. With the shower engaged there is not enough pressure to run anything else inside the house, I can go outside and the hose attached to bib on the main pipe will have full pressure.Thanks for helping out.
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 1, 2005, 02:51 PM
    Loss of Water Pressure
    OK!
    That puts the problem in the house system. Try this, turn off the two lower stops on your water softener and open the stop over them in the middle. That will bypass the softener. Now turn the water off to the house and open up the tub and shower valve and remove the cartridge. Check the cartridge inlet ports for any crud that might be in there. Now, with the valve still open, turn the water back on for a minute. You're flushing out the branch line. Do you have a good stream coming out? I'm just attempting to isolate the source of the problem. Let me know what gives and we'll check another branch. Regards, Tom

Jan 1, 2005, 03:18 PM
    My softener does not seem to be like this. Copper pipe runs in has a ball valve before the softener.Copper pipe comes out of softener has a hose bib on it. Softener is in two pieces on is really a tank for the brine I think.

Quote Originally Posted by speedball1
    OK!
    That puts the problem in the house system. Try this, turn off the two lower stops on your water softener and open the stop over them in the middle. That will bypass the softener. Now turn the water off to the house and open up the tub and shower valve and remove the cartridge. Check the cartridge inlet ports for any crud that might be in there. Now, with the valve still open, turn the water back on for a minute. You're flushing out the branch line. Do you have a good stream coming out? I'm just attempting to isolate the source of the problem. Let me know what gives and we'll check another branch. regards, Tom

Jan 1, 2005, 03:44 PM
    In trying to figure out how to bypas the softener I hit the manual charge button on the softener and now all my pressure is back in its glory. Thanks.
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 1, 2005, 03:53 PM
    Loss of Water Pressure
    I had a hunch your softener would be involved some how. If you could have bypassed it your pressure would have returned. Glad it was that simple. Cheers for the new year, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Loss of hot water pressure [ 4 Answers ]

The hot water pressure(cold is fine) throughout my house except for the washer and basement faucet has decreased to just a little more than a trickle and is taking forever become hot. I live in an old house and my husband is thinking that we will need to put in all new plumbing. What can we do to...

Sudden loss of water pressure [ 6 Answers ]

A couple of days ago I turned on the water at my kitchen sink and it came out with the usual force, but then about 10 seconds later it slowed down considerably. This continues to happen on both the cold and hot water, but I have not seen this happen at any of the other faucets in the house. ...

Loss of water pressure [ 3 Answers ]

Here's the deal: Have seen a slow but sure loss of hot water pressure in the five plus years we have been in the house. Water source is a well, so lime and minerals are likely to blame. Pipes are copper. Water is heated through the furnace, a Smith (Westcast) 8 Series boiler-burner unit. We...

Loss of water pressure [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I realize this question has been asked before but the proposed solutions have not corrected my problem. I have recenly renovated my kitchen and have added an island which includes my sink and dishwasher. After the plumbing had been connected, I noticed a considerable reduction in the...

Loss of pressure with hot water [ 2 Answers ]

I am not sure what model number shower we have, but we built our house in 1985 and the shower says Château by Moen. Earlier this morning about 3 hours ago, the shower worked as it usually does, however now, the only water pressure we have going to the shower head and to the faucet to fill the tub,...

View more questions Search