Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bethbarbier Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 2, 2007, 10:07 AM
    Dangerous Fumes
    I am going to be removing paint from brick in my livingroom. I am starting with easy off oven cleaner, a suggestion from this website. How toxic is this for my family? Do the need to be out of the house?
    nmwirez Posts: 453, Reputation: 20

Mar 3, 2007, 06:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bethbarbier
    I am going to be removing paint from brick in my livingroom. I am starting with easy off oven cleaner, a suggestion from this website. How toxic is this for my family? Do the need to be out of the house?
    I would say so from past experience. Any confined caustic fumes can be a health concern especially for small children. Some do not respond easily, I myself used to like bus exhaust fumes when I was little.
    Wear a respirator while the work is in process. If you can also redirect the fumes up the chimney with a high volume exhaust fan and possibly put up a plasic wall around the brickwork would help. It is easy to put up vertical 2x4's from floor to ceiling and then tack a clear plastic paint tarp sheeting from stud to stud to enclose the area. Use a long 2x4 as a ceiling support of the vertical stud 'kickers' to protect the ceiling from being gouged. Do the same if there is a hardwood floor... Keep that fan going to keep the fumes from getting through the cracks. Good luck, nm
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Mar 3, 2007, 06:57 PM
    I am not familiar with Easy Off. What do the directions say? Perhaps a safer alternative would be liquid cooking oil. If it doesn't work, try brake fluid. Brake fluid is toxic, but doesn't produce any fumes. Do not let pets or children lick any of it up. Both the cooking oil and brake fluid have to set for a while, but should soften and swell paint. Both will cleanup with soap and water.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fumes from a ventless gas fireplace [ 14 Answers ]

My daughter owns a three-year old townhome with a ventless gas fireplace. When she turns it on, it spells like "gas fume." Is this dangerous? If so, can she remove the gas one and replace it with an electric one? What about the gas line?

Dangerous compounds [ 4 Answers ]

What is the most lethal non radioactive chemical out there,you know,the sort of stuff that would melt you down in seconds and leave you in a yellow and green mush,iv` been arguing with my friend,im`r flummoxed as to what it is but he says it`s some weird stuff iv`e never heard of,please could you...

Furnace Fumes [ 3 Answers ]

We recently had our furnaces replaced due to a recent flood. Fuel spilled onto our dirt basement floor... and the fumes are horrible. I have had a migrane for weeks. Recently I started vomiting because of the stench. I bought some deoderizer and I have continually put it downstaires.. but it...

Bug bomb fumes in my apartment [ 3 Answers ]

My land lord set off flea bombs in the apartment below us and all the fumes and gases from them started to come upstairs into my apartment and they are very toxic to humans and to my pets,:eek: They did not give me any notice that they were going to do so and I wanted to know if I have any grounds...

Diesel fumes [ 3 Answers ]

We installed a new furnace in our modular home a year ago. Since it was installed we have a problem with fumes when the furnace is running. The manufacture told me to duct air from under the house to the combustion. The fumes occur just before the blower shuts off. It is a forced air unit.

View more questions Search