Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Tabby6483 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 8, 2007, 09:12 AM
    Frozen Pipes Indication
    What are the indications that your pipes are frozen before they burst and after?
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Feb 8, 2007, 10:01 AM
    When they freeze, you get no water to any of the faucets after where it's frozen. Typically, the break occurs when they thaw rather than when they freeze. Do you have something going on that makes you think you might have frozen or broken pipes?
    Valita Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2010, 06:34 PM
    It is very cold today and no water is coming out of the fuacets. I am worry they might burst? What to do?
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 1, 2010, 05:47 AM
    If you are worried that the pipes may burst when they thaw then for now you can shut off the main cold water supply (which will in itself shut off the hot water).

To thaw pipes you want to turn the water supply back on and then make sure you open all faucets in the house and then you can start thawing things by turning up your heat to higher than normal setting, opening all cabinet doors and using a hair dryer or similar heating device to thaw the pipes.

If a pipe is burst when you thaw it go and shut off the water main again and see if you can locate the break. After you see the damage you can decide if you can fix it or not.

Is this a house with a basement, a trailer, etc..?

Let us know...

MARK

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I thaw frozen pipes in a wall? [ 3 Answers ]

I have a frozen pipe in a wall. The pipe goes from the basement to the 2nd floor How do I thaw it without tearing the wall out?

Frozen pipes from well [ 1 Answers ]

OK, dummy me, forgot to leave water trickling last night and temps in the teens. Woke this AM to no water. I live in country and have a well. My husband usually takes care of this and is unavailable to help or talk to about this. Temps are above freezing now(it is 2pm in eastern north...

Frozen vent pipes [ 1 Answers ]

My vent pipes have frozen 2 days in a row causing a vacuum in the plumbing inside my house.Both time I have unplugged them by pouring hot water down the pipes.Do you have any idea what may be causing them to freeze and plug up? The temperatures have been in the minus twenties but nobody else I know...

Frozen pipes - detecting burst pipes [ 1 Answers ]

Cold side of the kitchen faucet was frozen this a.m. Trickle returned this evening, followed by an immediate drop in hot faucet pressure - then some brownish water - the brownish water lasted 20 seconds - but the pressure is still low 1/3 pressure now and can get both some hot and some cold Have...

Frozen pipes [ 2 Answers ]

What can i do when my water pipe appears to be frozen

View more questions Search