Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    adamgames001 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Feb 3, 2007, 03:08 PM
    Shower Drain Trap
    I am installing a shower where a bathtub used to exist and the shower drain, including reduction fittings require me to drop the existing trap by 2.75inches. Are there any issues having a trap that drops 6inches?

Thanks,
    Adam
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 3, 2007, 03:25 PM
    Is it the trap or the trap raiser that has to be lowered? If it's the trap you may not lower it any farther then the drain line. It may be that you'll have to platform the shower base to save yourself the hassle of lowering the trap and drain line. Good luck, Tom
    adamgames001 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Feb 5, 2007, 07:31 AM
    Thanks for the reply. I think the main issue is that I was trying to reduce a two inch shower drain into 1 1/2 trap. Are there any problems replacing the trap with a 2 inch trap and reducing to 1 1/2 pipe on the other side of the trap. This will buy me the needed space so that the floor does not need to be raised. Adam
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 5, 2007, 07:47 AM
    "Are there any problems replacing the trap with a 2 inch trap and reducing to 1 1/2 pipe on the other side of the trap."
    While I don't recommend it, if it's necessary you can pick the tub up with a 2" trap and use a 2 X 1 1/2" reducing bushing to connect to the drain line. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

P-trap GAP - p-trap too low to meet sink drain extension [ 13 Answers ]

I just took an old crane drexel sink off the wall and replaced it for the time being ( I want to fix the older sink) with a cheap vanity/sink set. All that was easy enough, but now to my chagrin I can't finish the job. The p trap is too low, the extension pipe from the sink doesn't go all...

Trap on a washer drain [ 1 Answers ]

I am going to install a trap on the washer drain pipe that is connected to the main sewer line. The washer drain runs down 2 feet and across 3 feet. Will the trap work correctly if it does not have a tight seal where the drain hose meets the drain pipe. Will I have a problem with water backing up...

Offsetting a shower drain trap? [ 5 Answers ]

A friend is having a shower installed in a second floor bathroom, directly over a stairway landing. The floor joists are only 4" deep, such that a trap under the shower would protrude into the head space in the stairwell. The plumber gave two options: raise the shower floor four inches, such...

Trap for washer drain [ 1 Answers ]

We have a bad smell behind our washer. After much research, I am beginning to think that it is coming from the washer drain pipe. Is it possible that it is sewer gas coming back up through the pipe? Do washer drain pipes have traps? We live on a slab. We have the wall ripped out behind the washer...

Tub drain to P trap [ 2 Answers ]

Hey, I am replacing the tub in my bathroom, as well as much of the drain line. I am replacing the galvanized(?) pipe and drum trap with 2" PVC, a Vent, and a P-Trap.. my problem is how do i install the Tub drain to the P-trap. The tub drain assembly is 1 1/2" or so.. and the P-Trap is 2".. I got a...

View more questions Search