Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Jan 22, 2007, 01:56 PM
    Methane Odor
    Hi.

I noticed last week when I did a load of laundry and put the load in the dryer, there is a lingering methane odor. The washing machine is on the same line as the master bath. I noticed yesterday that about 10 minutes after I took a shower, I smelled that same odor, only fainter. I am not too sure about the toilet. If I flush it after urinating, I don't get that odor. But, if I have defecated (trying to be polite here), the odor does linger. Could it be a broken seal on the trap or a cracked "stink pipe?" I know I need to call a plumber but I would like to have an idea of what it might be prior to his showing up. I am widow living alone and although I would like to believe most people are honest, I want to avoid being taken advantage of and finding myself being charged for unnecessary work. By the way, that problem does not occur in the other two bathrooms.

Thanks for you help!
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 22, 2007, 04:48 PM
    This could be caused by a faulty wax ring under the toilet.. It can stop liquid and still allow sewer gas to excape. That's the first thing I would have checked. Good luck and keep me informed, Tom
    Ultra Member

Jan 22, 2007, 05:09 PM
    Thank you so much Tom. I will let you know.
    Ultra Member

Jan 26, 2007, 06:46 AM
    Tom, you were right on the money! Thank you so much. Wax ring was totally shot. No more odor!

If I could give you a "10" for your help and advice on this site, I would!

Hope this helps someone else.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 26, 2007, 08:17 AM
    If you wish to contribute there is a button called "Support This Member" that you can use. Since I'm retired and living off Social Security all contributions are cheerfully accepted. Thanks Ruby, Tom
    Ultra Member

Jan 26, 2007, 08:56 AM
    Oh Tom. I am so sorry. I didn't realize that. The reason I was looking for help is because I am in the same boat as you, and was afraid the plumber would rip me off. I have had that happen with service people too often and with the price of everything going up as it has, I thought if I was forearmed I could save a bit of money. I won't bother you with any other questions, I will find another source. I do wish I could give you something. I feel terrible.
    Ultra Member

Jan 26, 2007, 09:00 AM
    By the way, I just updated my profile and put in that signature. It was in no way meant to add to my response directly to you. Just ignore the signature please.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Weird odor [ 5 Answers ]

I have a weird odor of what seemingly smells like rotting food or something dead centered in my kitchen. I've pretty much cleaned everything in the kitchen to within an inch of it's life and still the smell remains. We've checked the fridge/freezer and there is a box of baking soda in there, so...

Methane?sewage odor [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I'm new here. I have a methane/sewage smell in my utility room. This room has my water heater and furnace as well as my washer/dryer. I usually smell this odor when my furnace comes on. The furnace is sitting on a metal box and when I smell under the box when the furnace is on I am able to...

Methane Symptoms [ 1 Answers ]

What are the symptoms of methane overexposure?

Methane Gas in house from Septic [ 2 Answers ]

I recently bought a 5 year old home. The basement has had a bathroom roughed in, including the container for a sewage ejection pump. The problem I am having is there is an odor coming into the house through the as yet unsed connection. As near as I can tell, the discharge line does have a check...

View more questions Search