Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Cloggedup Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 10, 2011, 12:05 PM
    Clogged doubel?
    I have a clogged double sink. One side has the garbage disposal unit.
    I have taken the u-joint,cleaned it and checked the disposal unit for clogs. Ev everything in the upper pipping is clear.
    I have removed the u-joint and tired the drain snake. However, it hits a turn about 10 feet down the line and does not seem to make it past the turn. I tried draino to loosen the clog. The sinks drained. However, the next day, the filled back up again.
    I am in the first floor of a condo. Is there another wayt to get to the clog, instead of through the kitchen pipes...
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 10, 2011, 01:29 PM

U joints are in cars not plumbing so I am thinking you mean P trap, maybe. How large and what type of rod are you using? A drum auger will work better due to your 90 degree bends. Amazon.com: Cobra Products 83250 1/4-Inch-by-25-Foot Metal Drain Clearing Drum Auger: Home Improvement
    pghplumber Posts: 106, Reputation: 11

Mar 10, 2011, 05:47 PM
    You may want to check with the condo association before going too deep into the drainage of your unit. If you use an electric hand snake with a small cable, you could very well end up going into a larger pipe and "pretzeling" the cable and getting it stuck. The other risk is if your cable ends up in somebody else's bathroom or kitchen.
    My advice starts there. If they give you the okay to proceed, try running the electric drain machine in reverse when you hit a tough bend. Push a little, run it in reverse and push again. Sometimes it's a matter of skill, luck or both.
    Cloggedup Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 11, 2011, 09:42 AM
    Comment on pghplumber's post
    Thanks for the advice.
    I used Draino the night before. After that I put the stopper in the sink and ran the garbage disposal unit. It created a vacuum and seems to have pushed the clog out. The drain was running fine after this.
    Is this normal...
    pghplumber Posts: 106, Reputation: 11

Mar 11, 2011, 04:16 PM
    Comment on pghplumber's post
    As long as the drain takes all of the water away and no leaks... yes, normal. If the clog was downstream as far as you think it initially was, no vacuum could be created when you ran the disposal because of the vent. This information does lead me to believe that the clog may have been closer to the sink. The drain snake that you used may have been going up the vent and missing the clog completely and the Draino loosened and cleared to obstruction. It is common for snakes to go up vents and miss the clog. Hope it stays "normal" for you and trouble free.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Clogged drain ? [ 1 Answers ]

At times my drains get backs up and sometimes they work fine it seems to happen on only one side of the house any suggestions

EPF doubel entry [ 1 Answers ]

EPF doubel entry \

Clogged toilet [ 1 Answers ]

Ok, we just bought a house, and the water was just turned back on to it. We used the downstairs toilet and from the first time that we flushed it, it was slow draining, but now it won't drain at all. We did the plunger trick and at first it helped a little, the toilet would at least drain slowly,...

Clogged Drain [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I Have A Window Well Drain With A 4" Corrugated Pipe That Is Clogged. Three Days Ago It Filled About Half Full With Water, And Started To Come Through The Window Into The Basement. I Used A Wet/dry Vac Until It Stopped Raining. Along With The Water I Also Sucked Out A Lot Of Mud And Sediment...

View more questions Search