Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hmonroe21 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 27, 2011, 02:08 PM
    What would cause a toilet to backup in the shower?
    My mother in law has a septic tank and her toilet backs up into the shower? What can cause this? She was supposed to have had the septic tank replaced lasty spring.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Feb 27, 2011, 02:20 PM

A blockage anywhere in the sewer line between the toilet and the septic tank.
    Why would she replace a septic tank unless someone drove a truck into it? Replace distribution lines maybe but why tank?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Feb 27, 2011, 04:10 PM

Wondergirl
    and I'm just a dumb girl.
    A girl... I'll buy that.

Dumb... no way under the stars.
    argaiu1017 Posts: 92, Reputation: 8

Feb 27, 2011, 07:07 PM
    It sounds like your mainline is blocked. So when toilet is flushed it comes out of lowest drain.
    argaiu1017 Posts: 92, Reputation: 8

Feb 27, 2011, 07:09 PM
    And by the way, septic might be full.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Help!2 shower backup, bubbling, burping toilet [ 3 Answers ]

We live in a 50 year old house (just moved in 6 months ago). The two downstairs bathrooms are located immediately next to each other. Never have had problems with either. We live in So California, where there's been plenty of rain and in the last 24 hours we've had a new storm, which cleared up...

Minor sewer backup - how to clear clog between shower and toilet [ 8 Answers ]

This past week, while using the basement shower, the toilet would bubble but I didn't know what that meant. Well, this morning, same thing, but then the shower wouldn't drain so I stopped the water - then continued my shower but noticed a rotten egg smell - the sewer line backed up! We have run...

Toilet/shower backup [ 1 Answers ]

Our toilet is located next to our standup shower. Each time it rains, the toilet backs up into the shower! We have plunged them both back and forth and poured in rid ex as we were told by the landlord but it is still not working. Therefore the shower floor is filled and running over onto the...

Raw sewage backup in downstairs shower when upstairs toilet is flushed [ 3 Answers ]

I live in a split level home (tri-level). When we flush the toilet on the top level, raw sewage backs up (belches up) into the shower on the bottom level. No other drains, toilets, etc, are affected. The washing machine, which is within 2 feet of the shower drains properly without any backup into...

Shower and Toilet Simultaneous Backup [ 5 Answers ]

I have two showers in my home, one has been clogged for months, liquid drano does not help the problem so I stopped using it and have been using the other one. Turns out that today I took a shower and it too backed up about 3 inches. Upon coming out I flushed the toilet and immediately saw water...

View more questions Search