Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    trysdiys Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 27, 2011, 12:36 AM
    Pipes vibrating through walls when the upstairs shower is going; I have a PR Valve..
    I looked at the PRV today and noticed some white corrosion on the top, like corrosion on a car battery would have. Would this have anything to do with it? It started happening this fall when it got cold. The vibrating is in the wall of the room close to under where the main floor bathroom is. Daylight basement home.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Feb 27, 2011, 09:32 AM

I would assume that the "white corrosion" is a build up of mineral deposits around a leaking adjustment screw of the PRV. That would indicate a build up of mineral deposits inside the valve is possible and may be the cause of the vibration. I would replace.
    However, if the vibration only occurs when the shower is used, it may be caused by a loose washer in the shower valve.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Feb 27, 2011, 11:49 AM

Agree with Harold: the vibration is most-likely caused by loose washer in your shower valve. Sometimes it can also be loose stem and/or pressure balancing device. If it is washer than it is easy fix: turn off water, remove stem, replace washer, reinstall stem and turn water back on. If it is loose stem, then you may want to get new one. If it is loose pressure balancing device than get new cartridge as well. That should do... Milo

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do we tile all of the shower walls even around the shower pipes then shower handle on [ 4 Answers ]

We are tiling around the tub do we tile all 3 walls then put shower handle and tub spout on walls or do we put tub handle on wall then tile around it?

Vibrating noise in walls/pipes [ 4 Answers ]

I recently had a new shower installed, and now I have a loud vibration sound whenever water is run upstairs (toilet, tub, shower, or even a sink tap). What is it? Do I need to get the workmen back in her to fix it?

Vibrating Shower Pipes [ 3 Answers ]

When the shower is running and someone turns on any tap or flushes any toilet in the house, the shower pipes begin to vibrate making a pulsating knocking kind of noise. The showers have the water regulators and the shower water controls are the single dial turning type. So usually we turn the...

Vibrating pipes when using shower [ 7 Answers ]

Hi everyone, I've been having trouble with my pipes vibrating when using the stand up shower in my condo aprtment unit. To give some background info, my washroom has both a bathtub (with a faucet and two taps, hot and cold) and a separate stand up shower (with a showerhead and two taps, hot and...

View more questions Search