Ask
    geekddup Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 24, 2011, 07:00 PM
    Kitchen sink won't drain snaked and plunged my sink snaked both drains
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 25, 2011, 05:22 AM

HI Geek...

Either you didn't go down the drain far enough or the snake is going UP the vent instead of down the drain... ;)

In cases like these I can only tell you to make sure you have enough snake to reach the larger drain line that the kitchen drain line connects to and then go in and out of the drain 5-10 times... eventually the drain will get cleared.

Mark
    geekddup Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2011, 03:33 PM
    I took the trap off both sides and snaked it from there with an eight foot snake. I do feel like I just pushed the clog further down the drain as it takes longer till the sink fills with water. It is completely clogged but you're saying if I get a longer snake and push it down further it will clear it. I live in a trailer if that is of any relevance or can assist you in your answer. Thank you
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 25, 2011, 04:23 PM

We often say snake and rod like they are all the same but they aren't. Second item on this link Drain Cleaning Equipment - Sewer Snakes and other Drain Machines and Tools is what I'd recommend you use. They make a similar version that attaches to an electric drill
    wangelo Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2011, 03:22 PM
    My sink won't drain but my bath room sink and tub does. I snaked it and there is no blockage... could it be because there is no air pipe for the drain

Feb 26, 2011, 03:29 PM

Wangelo, you should strt your own post by clicking on ASK YOUR QUESTION OR SEARCH back at thetop of the page. It isn't good to just tag onto someone else's post. We get you confused. To answer your question I have to ask one. How long has the drain worked properly before clogging? All your fixtures eventually drain into the same main drain but your sink is clogged between its trap and where it reaches the main. What kind of sink, how your rodded it will all help us answer your question better. For now, cut and paste your question into a new post
    wangelo Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2011, 03:40 PM
    Comment on ballengerb1's post
    Sorry new to this... it starts in the kitchen then turns and leads down the wall and the tub and bathroom sink connect to it then to the drain line... it has always been bad my grandpa built the house and there is no air pipe... but the tub and bathroom sink drains fine... but the kitchen sink goes down real slow

Feb 26, 2011, 04:22 PM

You can add an AAV right after the trap if that is the issue. Sounds like possibly gramps did not build to code. Installing an Air Admittance Valve - How to Install Kitchen Plumbing & Appliances - DIY Plumbing. DIY Advice Let me correct one thing you have wrong in your plumbing vocab. An air gap is on the counter top connection a dishwasher with the drain. Your sink is missing a vent stack which vents to outside air above the roof line.
    pghplumber Posts: 106, Reputation: 11

Feb 26, 2011, 06:49 PM
    Where is an air gap mentioned?
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Feb 26, 2011, 08:15 PM

Make sure you use proper cutting knife for your snake. If you use - for example - heart shaped knife, it will cut right through the grease and as you pull it out the hole will enclose - just like it was before... For grease in the line you need spring tip...

Feb 27, 2011, 10:20 AM

Pgh, post #7 "always been bad my grandpa built the house and there is no air pipe... " I think he has confused some terms and says air pipe but means vent. We often must surmise what folks are trying to explain when they use terms like air pipe.
    pghplumber Posts: 106, Reputation: 11

Feb 27, 2011, 07:01 PM
    Okay, just didn't seem that your correction of vocab matched any of the described issue or text. Thought that I missed part of the thread.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

BATHTUB / SHOWER WILL NOT DRAIN (Plunged, snaked, checked vent... water won't move!) [ 6 Answers ]

The drain in my bathtub suddenly stopped working a few days ago for no reason that I can find! I have removed the plunger mechanism (water stopper), plunged the drain with the overflow covered (nearly until exhaustion), ran a snake through it from the overflow, ran a snake through it from the main...

Snaked sink, still backing up ? Now what? [ 2 Answers ]

OK so I snaked the drain, went in about 20 feet could not get anymore in. put trap back together. Ran water, backs up and it does drain, just very very slowly. Before it would not drain. So now what?

Stationary tub drains I snaked it out at the main drain at [ 3 Answers ]

Snaked it out at the main under the sink and put it back together ,put small amount of water in sink and it did not drain. I lossened the flap between the two oipes and it drained. But not into the ground. Is there a vacuam that has to occure for it to drain?

Sink that won't drain even though it's been snaked clear. [ 1 Answers ]

Our kitchen sink would not drain after using the garbage disposal to grind potato & carrot peels. We assumed it was clogged. My husband tried the plunger, took off the trap and cleaned it, used a 25 ft snake from the pipe under the sink through the trap in the basement, took off the trap in the...

Kitchen drain will not run. I snaked it 25 ft. [ 9 Answers ]

I ran a snake about 25 ft. did not find a clogg. The only vent on the roof is over the up stairs bath .all the rest of the drains thew out the house run normally

View more questions Search