Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sambrown Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 23, 2011, 03:50 PM
    What's the minimum distance a water pipe should be under the floorboards?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 23, 2011, 04:05 PM

We would ned much more information to answer starting with where you live. Also tell us all about the struture, is it a home or what. Is this in a basement or where?

Feb 23, 2011, 04:14 PM
    Sorry it's an upstairs bathroom at home, it has standard floorboards and I just want to make sure I have the right depth for the pipe! I've heard horror stories of screws going into pipework and I just want to make sure I'm covered in case of said horror stories in the future! Thanks

Feb 23, 2011, 04:14 PM
    Oh and I live in the UK if that makes a difference? Thanks
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Feb 23, 2011, 04:25 PM

To be on the safe side, I would just put them in the middle of floor joist. This way you are covered top and bottom.
    pghplumber Posts: 106, Reputation: 11

Feb 23, 2011, 05:21 PM
    If there are any limitations as to how deep you can install the pipes then anywhere the pipes pass through wood, that could take a screw or nail, be sure to use a steel nail plate/guard. I'm sure there are a number of pipe protection devices available at plumbing supply stores in your area. Ask what they stock if you have no choice but to put a pipe in a potentially hazardous place.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Feb 26, 2011, 11:51 AM

Well, typically, carpenters use 8D or 10D ring-shank nails to install ply over joists. If screws are used than they usually shorter than nails. So install your pipes bellow the reach of 10D nail and you should be fine. Hope that helps... Milo

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

94 civic water on floorboards/ main relay fried [ 1 Answers ]

Hello everyone. I have found some very similar questions to this one but have not found any real answers. After it rains my civic has some substantial water mostly on the driver side floor boards. I also found water in my main relay which has caused the car to stop starting. I think it is odd to...

Minimum distance between gas range and vented microwave? [ 3 Answers ]

Can someone tell me what is the minimum (acceptable) distance from range top to bottom of microwave (with outside vent) thanks

Critical Distance is Pipe Length or Literal Distance? [ 2 Answers ]

Is critical distance measurement based on the literal distance from a trap to the vent stack, or the total length pipe from the trap to the vent? In other words, if the trap is 4 feet from the vent, but the drain pipe from the trap to the branch that has the vent connected to it is 10 feet, is the...

Copper pipe minimum depth in wall? [ 1 Answers ]

Howdy all, Is there a minimum depth that copper pipe must be installed within walls? In other words, minimum clearance between the pipe and the drywall? I know there is for electrical lines, so somebody hanging a picture doesn't drive the nail in and electrocute themselves. I have an...

View more questions Search