Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    andysjackson Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2011, 07:16 AM
    How to find my sewer clean out cap?
    I just moved to a house that the sewer backs up into the tubs and toilets,and I have looked for a clean out cap but can't find one,the house has a cement slab... any help would be apprieciated.. thnks andy
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 20, 2011, 07:41 AM

I think that depends on the area - in my area the Town Plumbing Inspector has this info on record; I would call the former owner and/or occupant; mine is "plastic" pipe with a METAL cap so I can find it with a metal detector (code requirement).
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 20, 2011, 07:51 AM

Hi all...

If you have a septic tank then you will usually find the main drain cleanout within 2 feet of the inside or outside of the foundation wall at the rear of the building.

If you are on city/town sewer then you will usually find the main drain cleanout within 2 feet of the inside or outside foundation wall at the front of the building.

Walk the perimeter of the foundation and see what you can find. If you can't locate the cleanout inside the building and there is nothing obvious outside the building then you will want to get a probing stick as the cleanout cover may be covered by a couple of inches of dirt outside... if you are lucky... ;)

Although unusual, you may also have a main drain cleanout at the base of a waste stack so look for that, too.

Otherwise, as Judykaytee said, the city/town may be able to show you exactly where the main drain exits the building and then you can use a shovel and dig down in that area to locate the main drain cleanout.

Good luck!

Mark
    andysjackson Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 1, 2011, 07:18 AM
    Thanks for all the help but I had to rent a machine and go through the pipe on the roof because I couldn't find the cap... but toilit is working and now I'm attempting to put a shower in... Thanks again ~~andy~~
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Mar 1, 2011, 10:32 AM

If the house is on slab and then look somewhere behind the toilet most distant from the front of the house. If it is on raised foundations than it is relative easy to locate the pipe. Otherwise, if you step back and look on the roof. You will see plumbing vents. The one closest to the front (may) indicate where main pipe exists house. ( I say "may" because this rule does not always apply ) Look in the dirt, about 1-5' away from the foundation with shovel. It may stick up our be buried right below dirt. If everything fails, you can call plumber with video inspection and he will trace it down.

Every homeowner should know where his/her clean outs are, especially when you start having sewer back ups. If you happen not to have one, install one. It will pay for itself.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I cap a sewer clean out? [ 13 Answers ]

About 3 months ago I had a break in a sewer line repaired. At the same time they added a curbside clean out access-not sure why because I already have one in the basement... the problem is this: My house is about 30 feet above street level so the pipe has a pretty steep descent to street level....

Cap fell in sewer trap [ 3 Answers ]

my sewer trap has two vertical pipes with two caps,one a little smaller than the other. I recently unclogged the drain by opening both caps. The smaller cap apparently fell into the larger pipe(hole)It is now causing a minor blockage which I have to clear everyday with a piece of wire. I can't see...

How to find the main sewer line to add a clean out trap [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to find the main sewer line so I can add a clean out trap

Clog Toilet in basement - Auger didn't work - Can't find sewer clean-out [ 1 Answers ]

I am the second owner of a 10 year old 2 story home with a fully finished basement. I have a toilet in the basement level of my home that has been clogged for two days. I have used a plunger and toilet auger with no luck at all. The sink in that bathroom fills the toilet, when it is used. The...

Sewer end cap ejects? [ 2 Answers ]

I just bought a house and while I was doing some yard work in the front, I noticed a partially uncovered plastic lid on a plastic pipe. It had a whole bunch of toilet paper around it but I never noticed it as it was under a large bush. At first, I didn't know what it was, so I just placed the cap...

View more questions Search