Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tox1c Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 17, 2011, 08:35 AM
    Help awful smell in daughters bedroom
    Hi, I have lived in my house for 9 years about 6-7months ago an awful smell began to appear in the bedroom next to our bathroom. It seems to be worse in the evening when the children go to bed causing them to not want to sleep in their room. I notice that the smell is not as bad if the bath has not been used so I had the bathroom cheaked by a plumber who put it down to an open pipe which had not been blocked, this was blocked off an yet the smell is still occurring. Parts of the ceiling have been replaced in the bedroom an attic space was cheaked for leaks an mold nothink was found. I also had the outside drains cheaked an they were pressure washed an a camera was put down to check for blockages but all was clear. I am at a loss and am hoping for some help as this is starting to effect the whole house as the children are sleeping in my room or brothers. The only other thing I am thinking it maybe is the vent stack as this runs between the two rooms could this be causing the unwanted smell please help!!
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 17, 2011, 09:33 AM

Hi Tox1c...

Do you have a forced air furnace?

Is the bedroom floor carpeted?

Let me know more, OK?

Mark

Feb 17, 2011, 12:49 PM
    Hi yes I do have carpet in the room.
    To be honest I'm unsure about what a forced air furnace is.
    We have cental heating which is run off a combi boiler thou. I hope this helps.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 17, 2011, 03:39 PM

Odors/smells are almost impossible to help with online, but with what you have presented, and the fact that you DON'T have a forced air furnace (combi. Boiler isn't an air furnace) then the only thing I can think of would be to lift the carpet up and see if there is a floor drain under it. If a floor drain is under the carpet the floor drain trap would have dried out and sewer gasses would be escaping... perhaps there used to be a launry room or something like that in there... maybe?

Otherwise, my only other thought was that you could have an animal that has died in the walls of the bedroom... could open walls under the baseboard to check or just wait some time and the smell should eventually go away. You could always call an exterminator to check this as they might be familiar with these types of smells!

Good luck!

Mark
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Feb 17, 2011, 03:55 PM

Would you describe the smell as a "fishy smell" by any chance?

Feb 23, 2011, 03:35 PM
    Hi it is not a fishy smell.
    Its more like a stuffy stale odor like a toilet odor in some cases
    It really is awful even having windows open 24hrs there is still a lingering odor.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Feb 26, 2011, 11:42 AM

What exactly was done during the remodeling ? Please, be specific...
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Feb 26, 2011, 12:10 PM

This doesn't sound like your problem but you could check. Light fixtures that have certain plastic like covers or diffusers can give off an odor if they get too hot (as in to high wattage bulb). This odor is usually described as "fishy" smell.

Feb 26, 2011, 02:58 PM
    The following things were carried out
    First drains were flushed by a jetting service who found roots in the drains outside they did a camera view to follow this an said this would fix the odor. This did not the odor still occurred.
    Next a small section of the ceiling was fixed as there looked to be some water damage there. The roof an loft space was checked they didn't find anythink an had no idea why the ceiling had got like this another section was checked which had previously been fixed due to a leak from the roof which was fixed an repaired however since that incident occurred this seems tobe around the time when the smell started to appear.
    Due to the smell still occurring they checked below the bath finding an open pipe thy said this was the cause of the odor however it returned later on that evening. That is all that has been done I have tried to locate it myself but cant. Hope this helps in answer to your question Milo Dolezal thanks
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Feb 26, 2011, 08:09 PM

What bugs me is that "....they found open pipe...." . If there is one open pipe, I would look for another one. It is major (major) oversight. Whoever originally worked on your plumbing wasn't obviously too experienced. Also, I would check for traps under showers, tubs and sink. Make sure there are not missing... Back to you... Milo

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Awful Smell - Plumbing, Air duct [ 9 Answers ]

We just moved into our current house about a year ago (April 08). Last summer we noticed a sewage smell coming from the upstairs bathrooms. It was worst in the guest room bathroom, which we never used anyway. Over the winter, it seemed to go away so we did nothing. This summer, as the...

Awful smell coming from bathroom [ 2 Answers ]

My husband and I recently bought a mobile home that had been repoed.. We just got hooked up on city water.. and after the first use in the bathtub.. there was an AWFUL odor coming from the bathroom.. it doesn't come from the sinks, the toilet, or the shower.. We have a shower stall and then the tub...

Awful Smell [ 5 Answers ]

Hello! I have a concerning problem. About 2 months ago we had a clog in our basement drain (where the washer drains into) and had Mr. Rooter fix this problem. Now we have an awful sulfur smell coming from the basement. At first we noticed every now and then and it was only in the basement. Now...

Musty odor in daughters bedroom [ 2 Answers ]

We are trying to get the musty odor out of our daughters bedroom. Recently, we have been inundated with non-stop rain, and apparently some had seeped in. We pulled back the carpet, removed the damp tack boards and baseboard, cut out the damp carpet pad, and opened up the window and now have a fan...

View more questions Search