Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chadders Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 27, 2010, 07:19 AM
    Can I run my electric shower from my immersion tank in the loft?
    I have a problem with cold water pressure on my street - if anyone else uses their cold water the pressure drops to almost nothing in my house. This is not too much of a problem for the cold water taps but it's extremely irritating when I am trying to have a shower on a morning. I have contacted the water board to find out what it could be and they have told me the terrace of five which I live in has a shared supply hence the bad pressure. Their solution was to have my own feed from the mains but this will cost thousands.

My hot water runs off an immersion tank in the loft. The pressure is pretty good, I would say it's the same as the cold when it's on full.

Would it be possible for me to run my shower from my immersion tank instead of the cold water feed or would it be possible to get a cold water tank in the loft purely to run the shower from?

Thanks
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 27, 2010, 07:53 AM

Their solution was to have my own feed from the mains but this will cost thousands.
    Let's explore that a little farther before we get into repiping the shower.
    How far from your house to the main? What's the frost lin e in your area? You do know that you can rent a Ditch Witch and dig your own trench saving a lot right there. And your thoughts?
    Would it be possible for me to run my shower from my immersion tank instead of the cold water feed
    If the head pressure's good you have just fixed the volume problem that you now have. I would be giving strong thoughts about getting out of the system you
    Re now in. Good luck, Tom
    chadders Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 27, 2010, 08:14 AM
    They said I would need 20m of piping. It will cost £1,500 just for the connection to the mains then I have all the extra plumbing work inside the house as well as digging the ditch. My house is on a hill and the road where the mains is, is 6ft below my ground floor. There is a buffer garden in front of the house. The water mains runs from the road, underneath some stone steps up to the house (6ft) and then round the back of the house and into the kitchen. Yorkshire Water said they would run the new pipe from the mains to the front of the house - but my cellar is concreted in as the houses were subsiding some years ago. Also I have a stone floor in the kitchen so I would not be able to lift anything up and feed the pipes through. I think they would want to feed the new pipe in the void under the floor then through to the kitchen but I don't think this will be possible as I can't lift thIe kitchen floor.

We don't have central heating at all - we have the electric immersion where our hot water comes from, and a wood burning stove for heat.

speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 27, 2010, 08:57 AM

My hot water runs off an immersion tank in the loft.
    This " immersion tank", is it a cold water storage tank that feeds a hot water neater or is this the hot water supply? What's the capacity 0f this tank? Back to you Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Immersion tank [ 2 Answers ]

My immersion heater tank does not seem to be filling. Getting slow running hot water, tried to drain but only got a third of abucket

Immersion Hot water tank [ 2 Answers ]

I have recently changed the thermostat in the immersion hot water tank. The water is heated twice a day through a timer. I have noticed that there is not hot water anymore. It starts fine, and then gets cool/cold after a short time. I can only find 1 heating element at the top of the tank. The...

Hot water in loft cold tank [ 1 Answers ]

Why are we having hot water in our cold tank with hot water then coming out of the overflow pipe

Small tank in loft empty [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, A radiator began leaking a few weeks ago so I switched it off and left it because I was going away. When I went away I switched the Central Heating off and now I'm back, it won't work, the central heating I mean. Won't fire up. To tell the truth last night it did work - but something is...

Small tank in loft empty [ 3 Answers ]

Is your system a two pipe or one pipe system? A two pipe system has a hot supply which feeds the radiator, and the cold goes back to the boiler. A single pipe system feeds through each radiator in a series. Turning off one radiator in such a system will defeat the whole zone. If it is a...

View more questions Search