Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cmk Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 29, 2006, 07:24 PM
    No Caulk Shower Drain
    I have a second floor shower drain that is leaking. I have cut a hole in the ceiling downstairs to expose the drain. I went to Home Depot and purchased a new drain primarily to get the no caulk tool to loosen the top ring. I cannot remove the existing brass drain as I cannot loosen the bottom locknut. The subfloor is opstructing the access for a wrench. I couldn't find a telescoping tool to get at it straight up and down. Since I cannot loosen the nut I have place a bead of silicone around the top. I would love to loosen down below as I only see the paper type washer below the basin and not the rubber. Any thoughts on a tool I can try with tight clearance. Also how tight is tight enough on the top ring? I have tightened it and the rubber gasket is puckered. Wondering if this is too tight.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 30, 2006, 07:08 AM
    How tight is tight enough on the top ring? I have tightened it and the rubber gasket is puckered. Wondering if this is too tight

You have a rubber gasket under the top lip of the drain? The drain installs like this.
    The drain lip gets a small rope of plumbers putty or silicon jel under the lip which is pressed down on the base. Next, and under the base comes the rubber washer followed by the fiber friction washer and the big nut.
    Is this how you're configured? Regards, Tom
    cmk Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 31, 2006, 04:06 PM
    The rubber gasket on the top I was speaking of is the one that tightens around the 2 in pipe. On the bottom it looks to me like the original install only had the paper washer on the under side. I was trying to get the locknut on the bottom loose so I could reinstall correctly. I couldn't get enough clearance to get a tool around to loosen the bottom locknut. I ended up putting silicon around the drain from the top and where I could around the bottom side. It seemed to stop the leak for now. My concern is I may have just temporarly fixed with silicon and may experience this problem again. Any advise? I just repatched the ceiling so I may just hold my breath.

Thanks
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 31, 2006, 04:23 PM
    You have a rubber gasket INSIDE the drain? (see image) Let me know what's under the lip that you've caulked with silicon jel. Regards, Tom
    richtergroup Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 23, 2011, 01:09 PM
    There is a tool for no caulk shower drains at www.bulldogdraintool.com
    I hope this helps others!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Where do I caulk a 3 panel shower stall? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi- I have a small shower stall off the master bedroom. The 2 corner walls are tiled & then there is a 3 panel enclosure that sits on a base. When we had the 3 panel enclosure replaced 10 years ago, the installer said something about not caulking the inside where the metal of the panels meet the...

Installing new shower with no-caulk drain... [ 3 Answers ]

Hi Experts: I'm new to the forum, and I'm not a plumber - but I'm doing my second DIY bathroom remodel and I have just a few questions that I'm hoping someone can help me with... I'm replacing a leaky 36x36 shower pan in our master bath. I selected a larger Swanstone solid surface pan,...

Shower weep hole drain turned into tub drain [ 1 Answers ]

I am remodeling my shower to a roman tub. The existing drain is a weep hole drain. Is there a plug for these type of drains? The idea is to use the same drain system and hot mop, tile, etc. around it.

Caulk or Grout in Glass Enclosed Shower Stall [ 9 Answers ]

I live in an apartment building (I own the apartment I live in). We remodeled the bathroom when we moved in three years ago, and put in a glass enclosed shower stall where a tub once lived. The shower stall has large ceramic tiles on the floor, and smaller differently-styled ceramic tiles...

View more questions Search