Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rmackinnon Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Dec 11, 2006, 04:41 PM
    Septic smell in basement
    I've been reading many Q&As bbout septic smells and none seem to fit our problem. This house has a 4 year old system with a pump in a chamber in the ground. It was pumped 6 months ago, there are only two of us living here, no unused drains (dry trap), and no basement drains. The smell seems to come from the PVC pipe as it exits the basement wall, and it seems to come and go. My wife swears it comes after water usage, such as a shower. There is a slight sag in the pipe where the installer failed to support it. Where should I start?

Thanks.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 12, 2006, 06:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by rmackinnon
    I've been reading many Q&As bbout septic smells and none seem to fit our problem. This house has a 4 year old system with a pump in a chamber in the ground. It was pumped 6 months ago, there are only two of us living here, no unused drains (dry trap), and no basement drains. The smell seems to come from the PVC pipe as it exits the basement wall, and it seems to come and go. My wife swears it comes after water useage, such as a shower. There is a slight sag in the pipe where the installer failed to support it. Where shoudl I start?

Thanks.
    "This house has a 4 year old system with a pump in a chamber in the ground."
    Do you mean you have a ejector pit and pump in the basement or are you talking about a septic tank?

"The smell seems to come from the PVC pipe as it exits the basement wall,"

Would this be the vent from the pit?

". There is a slight sag in the pipe where the installer failed to support it. "

What pipe would that be? The pipe that exits the basement?
    Let me know. Tom

Dec 12, 2006, 07:45 PM
    Tom:

The pump is outside in an underground chamber, probably as it is uphill to the leach field. The smell comes from the drain pipe as it exits through the basement wall on its way to the pump chamber. That's the pipe that has a slight sag.
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 13, 2006, 05:35 AM
    It sounds like you have back pressure from the ejector pit Check the pit vent to be sure it's open. This vent, unlike a house vent, breaths both in and out. You may be letting sewer gas in your basement as the vent attempts to breath out. Good luck, Tom

Dec 13, 2006, 06:12 AM
    Speedball1:

Thanks for the help. We'll give it a try.

rmackinnon

Dec 14, 2006, 04:14 AM
    Tom:

Come to think of it, I don't know where to find the ejector pit vent. The only visible vent comes from the leach field which is down stream from the rest of the system. Is this vent inside the vault where the pump is?

Eternal Plumber

Dec 14, 2006, 11:13 AM
    The ejector pit has two pipes coming out of it. One goes to the house sewer and the other's a vent. Just track them down and check the vent for a clog.
    Regards, tom
    joeb9 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 16, 2006, 01:51 PM
    HI,

This is the same issue I'm having with my house. Did you have any luck correcting the problem?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Septic smell in basement [ 1 Answers ]

OK... I want to start by saying I have done my homework over the past several weeks and several times thought I had this problem licked. I consider myself a handyman but this problem has got me stumped. We moved into this house in June 2005. In late October 2005 my wife and I noticed a foul...

Septic odor in basement [ 1 Answers ]

When it rains steady or hard, I always get a septic smell in my basement. I have had my septic tank pumped and inspected. Everything checked out fine. I made sure all the traps in the house were not dry. I ran water through all of them. I was told that it could be my vent pipe on my roof. There is...

Please help - source of smell in basement? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there, I am new to this board and would appreciate your help. We have had a bad sewer smell come and go from our basement - and the smell comes up into the rest of the house. We use the bathroom down there daily, so it's not a case of dried up p-traps, or whatever, and the smell is not in the...

Septic smell in house [ 1 Answers ]

Every winter I get a sewage smell throughout my house. I have a basement with a crawl space at the end and from within this crawl space is where the smell originates. My furnace is about 10 feet from this 3 foot square hole which goes to the crawl space and you can feel and smell the odor coming...

Basement Shower Smell [ 3 Answers ]

This sounds like a lot of your previous questions but none of the scenarios match up. I have a shower in the basement of my 1928 house. I bad smell is coming from the drain. It looks like the drain doesn't match up with the 3-4" cast iron floor pipe and they used concrete to direct the water over...

View more questions Search