Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dmt5u Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 11, 2006, 12:22 PM
    Basement Rough-In
    I just moved into a house that was built in 1958. I'd like to install a full bath in the basement, but it was not plumbed for a bath. I'm handy with sweating copper pipe joints, so the hot/cold water supply lines won't really be a problem. However, the waste lines are where I do have a few questions. The area I'd like to put the bath is within 10 feet of where the cast-iron pipe leads down into the cement floor at the back of the basement (and presumably underneath the floor towards the front of the house).

1) If I had a plumber come in and complete the rough-in, including breaking up the cement, plumbing all of the lines and connecting it to the main waste line, and pouring new cement, how much would the complete job generally be?

2) What are the main costs, if this job was broken down into components, and is it something I could do myself?

3) What factors are at play that could increase or decrease the price of the job?

Thanks!

-Dave
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 11, 2006, 03:46 PM
    Hi Dave,

All your questions deal with cost and it's impossible to give, even a ballpark figure, uinless you're on site to figure materials and local labor costs. I can tell you that your tub will have to be vented. You can not connect direct to the sewer without a vent. Good luck, Tom
    whiskerwits Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 12, 2006, 06:40 PM
    Dave,

Before you start digging up your basement. Look at Upflush toilets. The Big Box stores sell them now. We've installed a number of them with great success. Though it will require building a landing for a Tub or Shower.
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 13, 2006, 05:47 AM
    While a up-flush toilet would get you away from breaking up the floor in addition to platforming the tub/shower you will still have to vent the group.
    Regards, Tom
    dmt5u Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 14, 2006, 05:34 AM
    Thanks for all of the replies, I appreciate it!

In venting the group, does it need its own vent all the way up to the roof of the 2nd floor, or can I tie it into the vent of the bathroom that is directly above (on the first floor)?
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 14, 2006, 11:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by dmt5u
    Thanks for all of the replies, I appreciate it!

In venting the group, does it need its own vent all the way up to the roof of the 2nd floor, or can I tie it into the vent of the bathroom that is directly above (on the first floor)?
    If the vent that you wish to revent back into has nothing above it you may revent back at least 6 inches over the flood rim of the bathroom lavatory.
    Good luck, tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Basement rough in? [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I just bought a house with a 3 piece rough-in in the basement. I am building a bathroom and as I prepare to do the framing work, I am wondering how much room do I leave from the rough-in toilet drain to the drywall? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Mike

Basement rough [ 11 Answers ]

Hi there I have a question about 2 4" pipes coming out of basement slab... one is raised and on is flush... both ate capped and connect directly to street... I'm prettty sure raised one is clanot but not sure about other... both emmit strong gas when caps removed?

Basement rough-in [ 3 Answers ]

I've seen a few of the posts w/ similar topics, and I think I'm on the right track. Just looking for confirmation from some experts. The center of the tub rough in drain is about 15.5" from the wall I'm puttting in and about 2" from the back wall I'm set to screw down. Question is, will a std....

Basement rough in [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I built my house about 3 years ago and I'd like to finish the basement. The bathroom was setup for a shower, sink and toilet. My question is how to install everything. I have 2 pipes coming up from the floor both 3.5"dia capped. I also have a square patch in the floor for the shower drain I...

Basement Rough in [ 3 Answers ]

I am putting in a basement master bath. I am confused as to how to use a common vent for the Toilet and Bathtub. Toilet is 3" Tub is 2". If I vent the toilet with a 3x3x2 T and the Tub enters just below the 3x3x2 T with a 3x3x2 Wye would the Tub be vented? Or do I have to vent the tub...

View more questions Search