Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AlfredDeeb Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 9, 2006, 12:49 PM
    Shower bubbling and gurgling !
    Hello,

Just had a new toilet & shower put in.
    The shower uses EasyDrain (which has its own little U-bend water trap to hold water and prevent sewer gas coming into the shower)... the problem is that when the toilet is flushed, it goes down in about 10 seconds (ie too slow, not taking stuff with it). Also while holding down the lever, as the toilet bowl fills up, the water level in the shower plug hole/easydrain rises for a few seconds (a few bubbles)... and then as the water in the toilet bowl disappears, the water in the shower plug hole is sucked away and the shower gurgles... I read the boards and got a plumber to fit an AAV, just behind the toilet, but it has made no difference to the water bubbling in the shower plughole or indeed the gurgling... this surprises me, I really thought that when the water was flushed it would try to take air through the AAV and NOT the shower!?

Does any of this sound familiar to anyone? Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance for your help!
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 9, 2006, 02:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AlfredDeeb
    Hello,

Just had a new toilet & shower put in.
    The shower uses EasyDrain (which has its own little U-bend water trap to hold water and prevent sewer gas coming into the shower)...the problem is that when the toilet is flushed, it goes down in about 10 seconds (ie too slow, not taking stuff with it). Also while holding down the lever, as the toilet bowl fills up, the water level in the shower plug hole/easydrain rises for a few seconds (a few bubbles)...and then as the water in the toilet bowl dissappears, the water in the shower plug hole is sucked away and the shower gurgles...I read the boards and got a plumber to fit an AAV, just behind the toilet, but it has made no difference to the water bubbling in the shower plughole or indeed the gurgling...this surprises me, I really thought that when the water was flushed it would try to take air through the AAV and NOT the shower !?!

Does any of this sound familiar to anyone? Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance for your help!
    When your fixtures begain to talk back to you they do it in two ways. They "gurgle" atcha or they "bubble" atcha. The "gurgle" is caused by vacuum caused by a blocked vent. The "bubble" is caused by back pressure due to a partial blockage What happens is that when you flush or drain the discharge runs down the drain line and hits the partial blockage and bounces back sending a bubble of air ahead of it. A partial blockage will also cause a backup sending soap or crud into a fixture until it can drain away.
    Somehow you're not venting the system. Check the AAV to be sure it's working. Let me know, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Help!2 shower backup, bubbling, burping toilet [ 3 Answers ]

We live in a 50 year old house (just moved in 6 months ago). The two downstairs bathrooms are located immediately next to each other. Never have had problems with either. We live in So California, where there's been plenty of rain and in the last 24 hours we've had a new storm, which cleared up...

Gurgling in the shower drain and sewer smell [ 2 Answers ]

We moved into a 100 year old farm house about 8 months ago. The plumbing was replaced in the 80's. We are learning the ins and outs of the house. About 2 weeks ago we started hearing a gurgling sound in the shower drain in the upstairs bathroom when we flushed the toilet. Now we are smelling a...

Draining shower causing bubbling toilet [ 1 Answers ]

My basement shower/bathtub, when draining, is resulting in bubbing in the toilet next to it! Would the obvious answer be due to hair clogging the shower drain or would it be further down the line leaving the house? What are a few home rememdies I could do before getting a snake or plumber?

Gurgling in shower drain and some backup [ 1 Answers ]

When I run two loads of laundry back to back, I am hearing gurgling in the downstairs shower of a split foyer home with bathroom on ground level slab. Sometimes the water rises up in the shower and then recedes immediately. The toilet downstairs is turned off with the level of water in the bowl...

Gurgling Perhaps? [ 3 Answers ]

New to this, but from what I have read, this is the right place to be. New Home, so I would assume that there is no clogging. When we flush a toilet in one bathroom (upstairs), gurgling occurrs. We can hear it from the shower drains (both of the upstairs' showers). Air pockets are emitted...

View more questions Search