Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    slackadelic Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

May 17, 2010, 08:03 AM
    Bathroom sink floor drain
    I'm renovating a bathroom in a rental unit. The sink I removed was simply seated onto a pipe that is at floor level. There is no threading on it. The pipe that was seated onto it had a flange at the bottom... I'm guessing the weight of the sink kept the seal from leaking... I'm replacing with a vanity, so I don't think this is going to work out... I noticed that there used to be a drain into the wall, but it has been capped off... I'm not sure why they did that either... any suggestions would be MUCH appreciated!!
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 17, 2010, 08:06 AM

Any chance of a picture of this? The capped pipe was likely clogged and maybe you shoud be trying to get that open too. Rod it with a drum auger Cobra™ Drum Auger - Augers - Ace Hardware What type of floor in this room, can you get at the pipes below the floor?

May 17, 2010, 08:14 AM

Thanks for the quick response Ballenger! I'm going on vacation this Friday and need to get the bath / kitchen working, DOH! Anyway, I'll snap a picture tonight when I get to the property.

The floor drain pipe is literally at tile level. I'll remove some surrounding tiles to get a better look at the end of it, but what I saw was just a flange, the pipe from the sink ended with the opposite (sorry, I don't know the term). Nothing was holding them together other than the weight of the sink, and maybe some putty... This is an upper unit of a converted single family home. It was the home's original bathroom.

Do you think they plumbed the floor drain into the same line as the capped wall drain?

I'll try your suggestion on unclogging the wall as well.

Thanks!
    Mark

May 17, 2010, 08:26 AM

Probably did bring the drains together since they are so close but that doesn't make sense either since , if this correct, the clog would have been in the next 5' of drain pipe. It could have easily been cleared. How about the floor questions.

May 17, 2010, 08:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    Probably did bring the drains together since they are so close but that doesn't make sense either since , if this correct, the clog would have been in the next 5' of drain pipe. It could have easily been cleared. How about the floor questions.
    Sorry about that. Flooring is like sticky tile (80's, a little thicker, not so sticky any more) Was probably placed over original flooring (Older tile). Under that there is 4 inch plank subfloor over joists.

May 17, 2010, 08:44 AM

And then a basement or crawl space to give you access to the drain pipes?

May 17, 2010, 10:28 AM

Sorry, this is the upstairs (2nd Floor). There is another apartment below. This was a 2 story single family home that was converted into a duplex (upper / lower). The bathroom in question is the original single family home bathroom (circa 1900) so the plumbing is the original.

Thanks again!
    Mark

Here is the photo of the current floor drain for sink. Sorry it is a little blurry, I should have stood a little more still :D

Anyway, I tried to examine it a bit, let me try to describe:

Appears to be a soft metal held in place with a couple screws. Looks like it is all one piece, going down into the floor (not straight down, goes off at about 45 degrees). Also looks like there may have been more to it (sticking up from the flat part that is connected to the floor), because some remnants are sticking up. It appears that they used some silicon to form the seal.

I'm a bit perplexed as how to proceed, as once I install the vanity, I don't want to be bothered with it again!

I also am in a time crunch, so I'm looking for a simple, yet effective solution. I was thinking to gorilla glue a short piece of flanged pvc to it, and the connect the sink to that. Is that to hoakey? Any other recommendations? Should I delve into the floor and get that piece out?

Img is here:

Thanks so much!
    Mark

MobileMe Gallery

I'm renovating the bathroom in the upstairs unit of a duplex. I don't have convenient access from below, so I'm working in the bathroom. The original wall drain has been capped and the previous sink was simply sitting on a floor drain with some silicon around it. I'm not sure how well it worked, or if it leaked (I'm guessing not much, since the tenant downstairs would definitely tell me if he saw water) I'm also including a link of the floor drain. It appears to be a soft metal (I can bend the ring easily). It also appears to be one piece (going from the floor down at about 45 degrees). I looks like there may have been another piece to attached to at one point, but maybe it broke off (hence the silicon), I can tell because there are some small remnants sticking up where the silicon was.

I want to make sure I don't have to come back for a leak in the future, but I'm also in a time pinch (need to get a lot done before friday). Anyway, I was thinking of gorilla gluing some pvc onto it, so I have something solid to connect the sink drain to.

Otherwise, it looks like I'll be digging into the floor, right? How would you proceed?
    Thanks soooo much!
    Mark
    MobileMe Gallery
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

May 18, 2010, 07:11 AM

Can you post a photo of this situation ? Thank you

May 18, 2010, 07:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Milo Dolezal View Post
    Can you post a photo of this situation ? Thank you
    Thanks! The link is above (MobileMe Gallery) in blue.

Mark

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bathroom sink, pipes from floor [ 12 Answers ]

Hello. I just moved into a new apartment and find the bathroom sink vanity in terrible condition. I want to replace it, but see that the three pipes for water and drainage come up out of the floor (when you open the vanity doors you see the pipes going up from the floor to the basin)--instead...

How do I connect a bathroom sink drain to a cast iron toilet drain [ 2 Answers ]

I am trying to replace a leaky one and a quarter inch lead drain pipe that goes from the sink to the toilet. It is about 30" long and connects to the cast iron toilet drain, through a large cast iron nut which appears to screw into the side of the drain. All of this is located in a powder room in...

Utility sink drain to floor drain? [ 1 Answers ]

I want to install a utility sink in my basement. It's a new house, no drain pipes near-by, but there is a floor drain near-by. What are the hazards of running the utility sink drain into the floor drain?

Slow Bathroom Sink Drain - but Tub and Toilet Drain Fine [ 4 Answers ]

I am hoping that someone can offer a suggestion to solve my problem. We recently purchased a 60 year old home. The sink in one of our bathrooms drains completely fine until the water has run for about 5 minutes and then all of a sudden it starts to back up and then drains very slowly. I have...

View more questions Search