Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gheris Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Dec 4, 2006, 12:24 PM
    Delta Faucet in Tub
    Sorry for the multiple questions in the same day, but I am at a loss to explain what is going on with my tub's faucets. Currently the cold water side will not stop dripping. I have replaced the stem, the seat on the hot cold and diverter, but it continues leaking. I realize after doing this a couple of times that I cannot overtighten the seats because they are soft brass. I did notice the washer I put in just last week were all twisted. Initially it was the hot water side that was dripping, I had a plumber come in three times to fix that problem, the second and third times were free because it was for the same issue. I paid the guy separately to put in shut off valves for the hot and cold just so that I can shut them off at night. Can anyone shed light on this? Desperate in NJ with my upstairs shower also having an unexplained leak.

Dec 4, 2006, 12:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by gheris
    Sorry for the multiple questions in the same day, but I am at a loss to explain what is going on with my tub's faucets. Currently the cold water side will not stop dripping. I have replaced the stem, the seat on the hot cold and diverter, but it continues leaking. I realize after doing this a couple of times that I cannot overtighten the seats because they are soft brass. I did notice the washer I put in just last week were all twisted. Initially it was the hot water side that was dripping, i had a plumber come in three times to fix that problem, the second and third times were free because it was for the same issue. I paid the guy separately to put in shut off valves for the hot and cold just so that i can shut them off at night. Can anyone shed light on this? Desperate in NJ with my upstairs shower also having an unexplained leak.
    I should qualify my post, my faucet is a three handle delta faucet with the divertor in the middle. Also my house has high water pressure, 80+psi
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 4, 2006, 04:30 PM
    " My house has high water pressure, 80+psi."
    Almost twice the normal house pressure of 45 PSI. (That's why water towers are 100 foot high). You should have a PRV (Pressure Regulating Valve). Dial it back to 45 0r 50 PSI amnd let me know if you still have leaks. Higher pressure will put a strain on pipe joints and the "O" rings and packing in your faucets. Regarfs, Tom

Dec 6, 2006, 12:45 PM
    Tom,
    My PRV I think is shot, I tried to adjust it, but it only goes down to about 80 psi, does a older house need a lot more PSI. By the way, I have a 3/4 inch feed from the street atht goes down to 1/2 inch past the PRV.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 6, 2006, 04:05 PM
    More pressure doesn't mean more volume. Your house pressure should run between 40 and 50 PSI. Get that faulty PRV replaced. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dripping tub faucet [ 2 Answers ]

How do I fix a dripping tub faucet. I have the faucet apart a couple of time but not the guts of it?

Delta Pullout Faucet Water Pressure Loss [ 2 Answers ]

We have a Delta Signature Series Faucet Model 472, (Single Handle, Pull Out) in our kitchen sink and just yesterday started having low pressure. Haven't changed the water heater or anything else lately, the house is only about 2-1/2 years old. Pressure remains fine in all of the other sinks in the...

Delta faucet gunked up [ 4 Answers ]

I have a Delta Faucet model 173 `Waterfall' which has the single handle separate from the spout. After I did some plumbing work the flow is low which implies it is `gunked' up. I need to know how to get the handle apart to clean it out. I got the Handle off easily and the Adjusting Ring (part...

Tub faucet [ 1 Answers ]

My guest tub dose not get hot water. I have hot water at the sink. And the cold water at the tub has low pressure. Everything was working OK the other day. Checked the valve at the washing machine,which is right next to the guest bath. That seems to be OK. What could the problem be?

Reassemble the Tub Faucet [ 4 Answers ]

I have a slip on tub faucet that was removed from the stub out. I cannot understand how to fit the components back together and reassemble so that it does not come off when the shower mechanisim is engaged. If anyone can help me, I'd love some ideas.

View more questions Search