Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    buffaloman Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 27, 2010, 02:18 PM
    Venting toilet, sink and shower
    I am adding a bathroom to an old house. The plumbing is a mess but here is what I have. The main drain runs from west to east exiting the house to a septic system. The drain is 4". At the west end of the drain is a kitchen sink and dishwasher.
    The bath about 30' east of the kitchen, will include a toilet, sink and shower. The shower is on the north wall flowing south to the drain. The sink is between the shower and main drain. The toilet is 4' east of the sink and shower. I am now planning vents. I am running a 2" line for the shower that will pick up the sink.The distance is about 12'. I am planning to vent the shower and sink with a combined system of 1 1/2" to the roof. My next decision is can i connect the 2" to the 3" toilet drain and do I have to vent the the toilet; if so how. The toilet will run about 7' to the main drain. I was thinking of connecting the 2" drain for the sink and shower to the 3" toilet drain and add a 2" vent on the 2" drain line to the attic then combine the 2" and 1 1/2" then venting a 2" through the roof. There is no 3" vent anywhere in the house.
    manhattan42 Posts: 143, Reputation: 11

Mar 27, 2010, 02:51 PM

The vent for the sink must be within 5 feet of developed length along the drain pipe from the sink trap.

The vent for the shower must be within 8 feet developed length from the shower trap.

There is no limit on the distance a water closet must be from its vent under most plumbing codes.

A 1 1/2" vent that will serve both the lavatory sink and the shower can also serve the water closet regardless where it (toilet) is located from the vent.

But always check your local plumbing code before you do anything.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 27, 2010, 04:05 PM
    WE rough our bathrooms like this. Using 2" for the shower, lavatory and vent. Good luck, Tom
    Attached Images

Phil17 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 5, 2013, 10:10 AM
    In this situation can the dry vent going to the roof be 1 1/2" as long as the drains for the sink and shower are 2"?
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Dec 5, 2013, 02:03 PM
    Hi Phil

Sorry, but 2" is the minimum pipe size for a bathroom group... ;)

Mark
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 6, 2013, 09:19 AM
    Mark is bang on! Run 2 inch all the way up. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Best Toilet/Shower venting option [ 4 Answers ]

Hi I'm putting a new bath in. I'm not sure of the best/proper way to vent the shower/toilet drain. Of the three drawings in the attached image, which is the correct way to drain/vent the fixtures? Thanks

Proper Venting for basement shower and toilet [ 1 Answers ]

Hi.. I've had many questions answered searching this site, but I didn't really find an answer to this one. I'm posting some pics to help shed light on the subject - hopefully. Due to horrible craftsmanship, cosmetic and function issues I decided to remodel my basement bath. I have yet to...

Venting a toilet,tub and sink [ 2 Answers ]

I am building an addition that will increase the size of my kitchen and bath. My main waste line is not vented and is tied into a septic system. The house is 100 yrs. Old. My question is if I run a 3" pvc line of the main line and vent it straight out to the roof using 3" pvc pipe do I have to vent...

Wet venting a shower and toilet [ 7 Answers ]

I'm in the process of remodeling a bathroom and need help with venting all of the fixtures (toilet/shower/lav). I was thinking on wet venting the shower and toilet from the lav's vent see the sketch below. I was told that this is possible (up to "code") if a 4" drain pipe is used for the water...

Toilet/Shower - Venting [ 1 Answers ]

I am remodeling 2 bathrooms into one. I am moving a few things around, but my question is. I had a 3" vent that went up a wall in between the 2 bathrooms, well I had to do away with it. It was at the end of the line of the rough in and 2 toilets were connected right near it. My question, there...

View more questions Search